Jordan Loveridge scores 22 points and Brandon Taylor scores 21 to lead the Utes past the Cougars, who have lost four in a row. Que Johnson and Josh Hawkinson both scored 16 points for the Cougars.
PULLMAN — Jordan Loveridge scored 22 points and Brandon Taylor scored 21 to lead Utah to a 92-71 win over Washington State on Thursday night.
The Utes (14-5, 3-3 Pac-12), who have won two in a row and three of four, evened their conference record after starting 0-2 in league play. Jacob Poeltl had 14 points and Lorenzo Bonam 13 for Utah.
The Utes made 11 three-pointers, marking the most by a WSU opponent this season
Que Johnson and Josh Hawkinson both scored 16 points for Washington State (9-9, 1-5). The Cougars have lost a season-high four straight and seven of nine. WSU started the season 4-0.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Ken Griffey Jr. joins Mariners' ownership group
- Seahawks didn't just lose to the Saints on Monday night, they likely lost the season
- Three things we learned from the Seahawks' ugly 13-10 loss to the New Orleans Saints
- Another game without Russell Wilson sees Seahawks struggle mightily on offense in loss to Saints
- NHL's new national TV deal didn't do Kraken fans at home any favors in team's Seattle debut
The Utes, who had not scored more than 59 points in the previous four games, scored 43 in the first half for a 43-28 lead. The 28 first-half points marked the second lowest in any half this season.
The Cougars committed five turnovers in the first 7½ minutes and were outscored 13-0 in points off turnovers in the opening half. Utah attacked the basket with minimal resistance against a WSU squad that played without shot-blocking center Valentine Izundu (foot) for the fourth straight game.
Poeltl, Utah’s leading scorer and rebounder, was limited in the first half by foul trouble. The 7-foot sophomore from Austria is projected as a consensus top-10 pick in the 2016 NBA draft if he elects to leave school.
Cougar junior Charles Callison scored in double figures for the second straight game with 12 points