As excitement about the football team surges, the Cougars are on pace to set a new record for season ticket sales
Nothing gets the fan base going quite like success on the football field, and if Washington State’s early football season ticket numbers are any indication, the Cougars’ fan base is buzzing at an all-time high.
As June 1 approaches, WSU announced Wednesday that it has already sold 13,800 football season tickets, surpassing the 13,500 it sold at this point last year.
Last year’s numbers are significant because the Cougars closed out the season by setting a new record for season ticket sales: 14,200.
That, however, was with the Apple Cup in Pullman, which always tends to push ticket sales upward. This year, the Cougars play the Apple Cup against the Huskies in Seattle, yet season ticket numbers are already trending at an all-time high.
Most Read Sports Stories
- UW softball advances to Women's College World Series with sweep of Louisiana in super regionals
- 'Gritty' UW women's rowing team defies expectations again to finish second in NCAA championships
- Eugenio Suarez lets the Mariners walk off in 10th with series win vs. Pirates
- After slow start, Julio Rodriguez is heating up with the weather for Mariners
- Rick Rizzs preaches early testing for prostate cancer in sharing his own treatable diagnosis
Basically, all that put together indicates that the Cougars’ stock in rising as quarterback Luke Falk returns for his senior season with a talented supporting cast that’s hoping to leave its mark on the Pac-12.
WSU finished 8-5 in 2016, but bookended in between back-to-back losses at the start and end of the season, the Cougars went on a tear, winning eight-straight games and playing themselves into contention for a Pac-12 North title in the lead up to the Apple Cup against the Huskies lat November.
Losing to Colorado, UW and Minnesota in the Holiday Bowl ultimately put a bit of a damper on things, but as the season ticket numbers show, excitement about WSU football has never been higher as the Cougars head into the 2017 season.
|WSU Football Season Ticket Sales|
|Year:||June 1:||End of season:|
|* WSU’s all-time high|