The Cougars look for their 10th win of the season Saturday. It won't be easy against a resurgent Arizona team.
No. 8 Washington State (9-1, 6-1 Pac-12) vs. Arizona (5-5, 4-3)
When: Saturday, Nov. 17, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Martin Stadium
TV/Radio: ESPN/710 AM
Line: WSU by 10
WSU players to watch
Most Read Sports Stories
- WSU football coach Nick Rolovich fired for refusing COVID vaccine; defensive coordinator is acting head coach
- Rare double punt by Seahawks' Michael Dickson still has the NFL buzzing — including Bill Belichick
- Seahawks DE Darrell Taylor's CT scans come back 'clear,' Pete Carroll says
- Analysis: Changes must be made at Washington. Will they start with the quarterback?
- Halfway through a once-promising season, one thing is clear: The Huskies aren't talented enough
QB Gardner Minshew — 364 of 523, 3,183 yds., 29 TDs, 7 INTs
WR Dezmon Patmon — 52 rec., 724 yds., 3 TDs
RB James Williams — 437 yds. rush, 506 yds. rec., 12 TDs
LB Peyton Pelluer — 71 tackles, 7 tackles for loss
Arizona players to watch
QB Khalil Tate — 131 of 233, 1,954 yds., 19 TD, 6 INT
RB J.J. Taylor — 207 carries, 1,248 yds., 5 TDs
WR Shawn Poindexter — 34 rec., 622 yds., 8 TDs
Keys to the game
Don’t look ahead
The Apple Cup is looming, but Washington State will need to have its attention squarely on Arizona, coming off a 44-15 win over Oregon and a 42-34 win over Colorado. The Wildcats are more than capable of winning if the Cougars aren’t focused.
It has been a disappointing season for Arizona QB Khalil Tate, considered a Heisman Trophy contender before the season started, but he is still dangerous. He has been much less of a running threat this season, but the Cougars have to be ready for his arms and his legs. In Arizona’s 58-37 win over WSU last season, he threw for 275 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 146 yards and one touchdown. The Cougar defense needs to do better Saturday.
Big game from Minshew
Arizona is likely to put up a fair amount of points, so that will put some pressure on the WSU offense. Quarterback Gardner Minshew has come through all season for the Cougars and they will need him to do it again this week.
Arizona comes in on a roll, and the Cougars will get challenged.
Washington State 37, Arizona 35