Cody O'Connell is a consensus All-American -- WSU's first since 2005. He's also one first team selection away from potentially becoming the the second-ever unanimous All-American in WSU football history.
Cody O’Connell has been named to a steady stream of All-American teams in the last week, but on Monday, with the release of the Associated Press’ and Football Writers Association of America’s All-American teams, O’Connell became the first Cougar since 2005 to earn consensus first team All-American honors
With his inclusion on the AP and FWAA’s All-America first teams, O’Connell has now been named to eight All-American teams this fall. But the important four are the All-American teams named by the AP, the FWAA, the Sporting News and the Walter Camp Football Foundation because they give WSU the right to call O’Connell a consensus first team All-American.
To be considered a consensus All-American, a player has to be named a first-team All-American by three of the following five organizations: the AP, the American Football Coaches Association, the Sporting News, the FWAA and the Walter Camp Football Foundation.
The AFCA has yet to release its All-American team for 2016. But if they pick O’Connell as a first team selection, he could become only the second unanimous All-American player in WSU football history. Kicker Jason Hanson is WSU’s only unanimous All-American to date, earning that distinction in 1989.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Will 5-star WR Kyle Ford sign with the Huskies? Here's an early signing day primer
- Seattle Suns? Amid arena renovation dispute, Phoenix Suns owner threatens to move team to Seattle or Las Vegas
- From a hospital bed in Las Vegas, Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto finalizes a trade for Edwin Encarnacion
- Seahawks veteran leader Duane Brown doesn't move like an offensive lineman. Here's why.
- Seahawks LB Mychal Kendricks out for the season with knee injury, broken tibia
O’Connell, a 6-foot-8, 354-pound junior from Wenatchee, is WSU’s first consensus All-American since running back Jerome Harrison in 2005 and the sixth consensus All-American in WSU history, following in the footsteps of Rueben Mayes (1984), Mike Utley (1988), Hanson (1989), Rien Long (2002) and Harrison.
O’Connell played in every game for WSU at left guard this year, and finished the regular season as one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy, which goes to the best interior lineman in college football.
He’s the first consensus All-American Cougar lineman since Rien Long in 2002.
Somewhat surprisingly, despite all the national acknowledgment of O’Connell’s prowess on the offensive line, he was only named an honorable mention selection when the Pac-12 released its all-conference teams two weeks ago. The Pac-12 football coaches vote on the league’s all-conference selections.
Here’s a list of the All-American teams O’Connell has been named to this season.
- AP first team All-American
- The Sporting News first team All-American
- Walter Camp Football Foundation first team All-American
- USA Today first team All-American
- Pro Football Focus first team All-American
- SB Nation first team All-American
- ESPN.com first team All-American
- FWAA first team All-American
- Fox Sports first team All-American
- CBS Sports first team All-American