The Cougs are still in the top 25 polls, rankings mostly unchanged
Perhaps the college football coaches who vote in the Amway Coaches Poll were less affected by Washington State’s 47-44 triple-overtime thriller against Boise State than the media members who vote in the Associated Press poll?
The Cougars, who were ranked 20th in the AP Poll and 21st in the Coaches Poll going into Saturday’s game against Boise State, dropped one spot to No. 21 in the latest AP Poll released Sunday, but held steady at No. 22 in the Coaches Poll.
In a nationally televised four-hour game that ended about 15 minutes before midnight, WSU rallied from a 21-point deficit to beat Boise State in the third overtime period on a 22-yard touchdown pass from Tyler Hilinski to Jamal Morrow.
The Cougars finished with 455 yards of total offense to Boise State’s 401. Both teams finished the game with their backup quarterbacks after the starters, Boise State’s Brett Rypien and WSU’s Luke Falk, were hurt during regulation.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Liberty wined and dined Breanna Stewart, but she returned to the Storm. What's going to happen next year?
- After falling into last place, Mariners season passes infuriating and moves into depressing
- Just as expected, Mariners hit four homers off ace Justin Verlander to beat Astros
- Analysis: What is the matter with the Mariners bullpen?
- What new roster rules mean for the Seahawks in 2022
WSU is one of five Pac-12 teams in the top 25 polls.
The AP Poll has USC at No. 4, UW at No. 6, Stanford at No. 19, the Cougs at No. 21 and UCLA at No. 25.
The Coaches Poll has USC at No. 4, UW at No. 6, Stanford at No. 91, the Cougs at No. 22 and Utah at No. 24.
Links to our game coverage:
- How No. 20 WSU rallied to beat Boise State 47-44 in 3OT
- In 3OT win vs. Boise State, WSU’s special teams comes through in big moments
- Mike Leach says offense played timid in first half of WSU’s 3OT win vs. Boise State
- River Cracraft returns to WSU for Boise State game, says he’s fully healed, ready for NFL shot
- Every time they were tested against Boise State, WSU’s Speed D answered the call
- First Look: Scouting 21st-ranked WSU’s next opponent – Oregon State