The WSU women's basketball team is starting over and breaking in a new coach and trying to find some new chemistry.
Washington State women’s basketball
Coach: Kamie Ethridge, first season at WSU.
2017-18 record: 10-20, 3-14 Pac-12 (10th)
Starters returning: Three
Two players to watch:
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- 'The future of basketball' plays at Federal Way High School. His name is Jaden McDaniels.
- The Huskies have returned to prominence in the Pac-12, and so has the roar on Montlake
- Kyle Seager showed up to Mariners camp slimmer and healthier. Will that lead to a bounce-back year?
- Is Bobby Wagner the most underappreciated superstar in Seattle sports history? | Matt Calkins
Borislava Hristova, F, 6-0, Jr. – One of the best returning players in the Pac-12, the Cougars will need her to have a huge season to be competitive in the conference.
Chanelle Molina, G, 5-9, Jr. – A good floor leader, who is working hard with new coach Ethridge, a star point guard in her playing days. Molina’s scoring should improve from last season (7.7 a game).
The Cougars have a good shot to improve on their conference record of last season, and anything close to .500 in conference play would be a great first season for the new coach. If the Cougars can stay healthy, they might be better than outsiders expect.