World and Olympic gymnastics champion Simone Biles will make her 2019 debut at a World Cup meet in Germany in March.
Biles hasn’t competed since the 2018 world championships in Doha, Qatar, where she won five medals, including four golds. That pushed her overall world championship medal total to 20, tied for the most ever by a female gymnast. The 21-year-old headlines the field for the meet in Stuttgart on March 16-17.
Biles will be joined by 2010 world champion and seven-time Olympic medalist Aliya Mustafina of Russia, Elisabeth Seitz and Pauline Schaefer of Germany, Lorette Charpy of France, Hitomi Hatakeda of Japan, Carolyne Pedro of Brazil and Anne-Marie Padurariu of Canada.
Two-time Olympic medalist David Belyavskiy of Russia, two-time Olympic medalist Marcel Nguyen of Germany and Sun Wei of China lead the men’s field. American Akash Modi, Frank Baines of Britain, Teppei Miwa of Japan, Bart Deurloo of The Netherlands, Eddy Yusof of Switzerland and Petro Pakhniuk of Ukraine round out the field.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Michigan defensive line twins Armon, Jayvon Parker announce dual commitments to UW Huskies
- Seahawks position review: Russell Wilson is still the Seahawks quarterback for now. But who will be behind him?
- Born with a club foot, Edmonds ice dancer Jean-Luc Baker defied the odds and is ready for his first Olympics
- Gonzaga legend and Basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton draws ire for anti-vaccine comments
- Here's why Baseball Hall of Fame voters got it right with Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports