JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Darius Williams scored 28 points, making seven 3-pointers, and Prairie View A&M defeated Jackson State 79-66 on Saturday night.
Dennis Jones added 17 points and Gary Blackston 14 for the Panthers (12-12, 10-1), leaders of the Southwestern Athletic Conference. The Panthers were coming off their only SWAC loss, a 95-90 defeat at Texas Southern last Saturday. They swept the season series from Jackson State (9-16, 6-5), beating the Tigers 55-51 on Jan. 19.
Lemmie Howard scored 17 points, Venjie Wallis 16, Chris Howell 12 and Jayveous McKinnis 10 for the Tigers. Howell also had 11 rebounds and six assists.
The Panthers made 11 of 22 3-point attempts and outscored the Tigers 25-7 off turnovers.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks expected to part ways with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., sources say
- Seahawks part ways with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. Here's who they could hire to replace him
- Ken Norton Jr. pays the price for Seahawks' defensive woes, but it's Pete Carroll who must adjust
- Kraken's new team dog already a big hit with players and coaches
- Analysis: What the latest Russell Wilson report means for the Seahawks
Prairie View took the lead for good four minutes into the game, led 50-29 at halftime and had its largest lead of 26 early in the second half.