GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Kayla Wells scored 24 points and No. 19 Texas A&M beat Florida 80-62 on Monday night as the Aggies won for the 10th time in their last 12 games.
Wells made a jump shot and a 3-pointer and Chennedy Carter followed with a pair of layups and Texas A&M led 17-6 before half the opening quarter had expired. The Aggies (21-6, 10-4 SEC) led 20-9 after one and stretched the margin with a 16-5 run and led by 22-points with 67 seconds to go before intermission.
Florida (7-20, 2-12) got hot after the break shooting 11 of 16 from the field, including 5 of 6 from 3-point range, and scored 28 points in the third. But the Aggies didn’t relent and shot 9 of 16 in the quarter for a 59-45 lead after three.
Carter and Ciera Johnson each scored 21 points and Johnson grabbed 10 rebounds.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Felnin Celesten, 17-year-old uber-prospect, has the Mariners abuzz
- 2023 MLB predictions: Seattle Times staff picks AL West, MVP, World Series winners
- Mariners finalize roster before 2023 opening day
- Observations from the UW Huskies' fourth practice of the spring
- 'A team on the rise': How national media predict Mariners' 2023 season will go
Funda Nakkasoglu led the Gators with 22 points and Danielle Rainey added 17.