BOONE, N.C. (AP) — Brian Warren had 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting as UT Arlington topped Appalachian State 82-72 on Thursday night, extending the Mountaineers’ losing streak to four games.
David Azore had 16 points and a career-high 11 rebounds — the freshman’s first double-double — for UTA (5-11, 1-2 Sun Belt Conference) and TiAndre Jackson-Young added 14 points.
Appalachian State led for more of the first half and took a 32-28 lead into the break but Jackson-Young sandwiched a pair of 3-pointers around another by Warren to open the second half and the Mavericks led by at least two possessions the rest of the way. UTA scored a season-high 54 second-half points.
Ronshad Shabazz had 16 points for the Mountaineers (5-11, 0-3) and his jumper with 5:19 to play moved him past Don King (1,794) into second on the program’s career scoring list. Isaac Johnson added 16 points and O’Showen Williams scored 13.
Most Read Sports Stories
- UW set to face No. 1 North Carolina in Round of 32: Here's what you need to know about the Tar Heels
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Huskies show poise from the top down to make successful return to NCAA tournament
- 'He's crazy': How quirky is Huskies coach Mike Hopkins? Let his players tell you | Matt Calkins
- March on: Huskies' ballhawking defense gets them past Utah State in NCAA tournament opener
Sophomore Justin Forrest, who came in averaging 15.8 points per game, was just 1-of-7 shooting and finished with a career-low three points for Appalachian State.
Elements of this story were generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com