Defensive end Joe Mathis signs with the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent, and tight end Darrell Daniels signs with the Indianapolis Colts.
Elijah Qualls fell further, certainly, that he would have hoped on the final day of the NFL draft. But he did eventually get selected Saturday afternoon in the sixth round by the Philadelphia Eagles, which sets up a happy reunion with former Washington teammate Sidney Jones.
Qualls, a first-team all-Pac-12 defensive lineman for the Huskies last fall, was generally projected as a third- or fourth-round pick after leaving UW following his redshirt junior season.
That he fell to the 214th overall pick was a surprise, but count Jones — the Eagles’ second-round pick Friday — among those thrilled with the pick.
“Y’all don’t know how happy I am right now. … Got my brother back (with) me,” Jones tweeted shortly after Qualls’ selection.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Who won the James Paxton trade? Here's what the national media are saying about the Mariners-Yankees blockbuster
- WSU's Gardner Minshew shows how valuable a grad transfer QB can be to a team. But you'll never see that at UW.
- Like it or not, the Mariners had to trade James Paxton | Matt Calkins
- Mariners trade left-hander James Paxton to the Yankees for three prospects
- A sweet Apple Cup: 'Why can’t you be more like the Petersen boy?’
Qualls was the fifth — and final — Husky selected in the draft, the most for UW since in any one draft since 2001 (when UW also had five players selected).
Receiver John Ross III went to the Cincinnati Bengals in the first round (ninth overall pick) on Thursday night, and three defensive backs — Kevin King (33rd overall), Budda Baker (36th) and Jones (43rd) — all went in the second round.
Former UW defensive end Joe Mathis and tight end Darrell Daniels were not drafted. Mathis, coming off foot surgery, announced on Twitter he was signing as a free agent with the Houston Texans, and Daniels indicated that he would sign with the Indianapolis Colts.
Y’all don’t know how happy I am right now mane!!! Got my brother back wit me @ElijahQualls11 !!! Show him some love Philly
— Sidney Jones IV (@SidneyJonesIV) April 29, 2017