Share story

Washington sophomore wide receiver Damore’ea Stringfellow is scheduled for arraignment in King County District Court on April 16 to face three gross misdemeanor charges for his alleged assault of two Seahawks fans near campus shortly after the Super Bowl.

The county prosecutor’s office on Thursday formally filed the charges against Stringfellow while announcing it would not pursue charges against quarterback Cyler Miles because of insufficient evidence.

Stringfellow is being charged with two counts of assault in the fourth degree and one count of malicious mischief in the third degree.

Stringfellow and Miles have been suspended indefinitely from team activities since Feb. 5. Neither has participated in UW’s spring practices.

According to the charging documents, Stringfellow assaulted a woman at a celebratory bonfire, where a large crowd had gathered near the university’s Greek Row shortly after the Seahawks defeated the Denver Broncos on Feb. 2.

Miles, wearing a Broncos beanie, and Stringfellow were both present at the bonfire.

Stringfellow “was shoving a Broncos hat or beanie in the faces of celebrating Seahawks fans. An unknown male ran into the crowd, grabbed the hat from Stringfellow’s hand, and threw it either on the ground or toward the fire,” according to the charging documents. “Stringfellow and the unknown male began fighting. Bystanders quickly stepped in to separate the two.”

A woman who lived on Greek Row was using a digital camera to take pictures of the celebration and “snapped multiple pictures of the aftermath of the altercation,” the documents read.

The woman had rented the camera from UW.

“After being separated, Stringfellow turned, saw (the woman) with the camera, and headed straight toward her,” the documents read. “He grabbed aggressively for the camera, and the two struggled over it. (The woman) had the strap around her wrist, so Stringfellow was unable to wrest it from her. Witnesses characterized the struggle in varying terms ranging from (the woman) being shaken around violently to her being moved around a little bit.”

The woman reported having a “mild fever” that day.

During the struggle, “Stringfellow hit (her) in the head. (She) fainted, though it appears she was not out for a long period of time (it is unclear whether she passed out from the blow or due to the exertion and the fact she was ill).”

The camera lens “either broke off or came loose in Stringfellow’s hand. He then threw it into or in the direction of the fire. Someone yelled, ‘yo String, let’s go,’ and Stringfellow and Miles left while (the woman) was carried into a nearby fraternity house.”

In a second incident about 50 minutes later, Stringfellow and Miles got out of a car and asked a man if he was a Seahawks fan. The man replied, “Yeah of course, are you Broncos fans?”

After Stringfellow said yes, the Seahawks fan said, “Tough night to be a Broncos fan,” and tried to walk past the two football players.

Stringfellow “blocked the fan’s path and got up very close to him,” the documents read. “(The Seahawks fan) put his hands up in front of and close to his chest. Stringfellow said he felt threatened and pushed (the fan) into a hedge. (The fan) pushed him back, and Stringfellow began punching him, striking him at least once in the lower jaw. (The fan) tried to get away by running down a nearby path. … Stringfellow and Miles chased him, with Stringfellow in the lead.”

After catching up with the Seahawks fan, Stringfellow “punched him again in the head and cheek.”

An unknown female in the car “yelled at Stringfellow and Miles to come out and get out of there. The two ran back to the car, which drove off …”

The Seahawks fan had a black eye, a cut lip and scrapes on his elbows.

The fan and his girlfriend, also present, identified Stringfellow as the “primary aggressor.”

Miles had chased the fan, but neither the fan nor his girlfriend “could state with any certainty that Miles actually struck” the fan during the assault.

Adam Jude: 206-464-2364 or On Twitter: @a_jude