Auburn, UW's first opponent, is ranked No. 9 in the AP poll.
The Washington Huskies will opened the 2018 season ranked No. 6 in The Associated Press Top 25 poll, their highest ranking in the preseason since opening the 1997 season ranked No. 4.
The Huskies will open the season Sept. 1 in Atlanta against No. 9 Auburn (12:30 p.m. PT, ABC).
Only one other time has a top-10 Washington team opened a season against a top-10 opponent. That was in 1962, when the No. 10 Huskies hosted No. 7 Purdue at Husky Stadium; the game ended in a 7-7 tie.
The Huskies were placed as high as No. 3 in the preseason poll, by three AP voters, and as low as No. 12 by one voter.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Former WSU quarterback Jason Gesser resigns amid sexual-misconduct allegations
- The Final Word: Bob Condotta reviews what went wrong in Seahawks-Bears
- Report: Russell Wilson's future with Seahawks 'remains uncertain'
- ‘It’s all love’: UW’s Byron Murphy and ASU’s N’Keal Harry prepping for first head-to-head matchup
- Pete Carroll says Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is 'over-trying,' plus injury updates and more
UW is also ranked No. 6 in the preseason coaches poll, released earlier this month. Auburn is No. 10 in the coaches poll.
The full AP preseason Top 25:
5. Ohio State
10. Penn State
11. Michigan State
12. Notre Dame
17. West Virginia
18. Mississippi State
19. Florida State
20. Virginia Tech
21. Central Florida
22. Boise State