Budda Baker gets his first look of camp on offense.
What: UW’s second full-squad practice for the fourth day of fall camp
Where: Husky Stadium
Gear: Shoulder pads and shorts.
Quarterback quick reads:
— All three QBs were pretty productive during an extended, 11-on-11 red-zone drill. K.J. Carta-Samuels threw a quick, beautiful fade to the left corner for 6-5 WR Brayden Lenius, who skied over CB Darren Gardenhire to haul in the 3-yard TD pass. … Redshirt freshman TE Drew Sample made a nice leaping catch in traffic on pass from Jake Browning for an 8-yard TD. … And Jeff Lindquist followed with a TD run up the middle from about 8 yards out.
— JUCO transfer Tony Rodriguez, one of the more accurate QBs the first three days of camp, made a bad throw to RB Ralph Kinne that was picked off by SS Trevor Walker, who returned it some 50 yards for a touchdown.
Most Read Sports Stories
- 'He's just not very big,' but the Seahawks turned to speedy Shaquem Griffin to rejuvenate their line
- In making an NFL draft decision, Jacob Eason would be wise to consider Washington's past
- Seahawks injuries: Tyler Lockett practices, Jadeveon Clowney out again, Ed Dickson reportedly back to IR WATCH
- Will Jadeveon Clowney re-sign with the Seahawks? 'I don’t care about looking down the road,' he says WATCH
- Colin Kaepernick escaped NFL's trap, but league still got its desired outcome from workout | Larry Stone
— Red zone work was a big emphasis today. The final 11-on-11 period was a two-minute drill, as usual, but each drive started from about the defense’s 30-yard line. The highlights:
- Lindquist opened with the first-unit offense and hit WR Dante Pettis for a 20-yard gain, to the 10-yard line, on the first play. But the offense was unable to convert that into a touchdown. On fourth-and-goal from the 2, LB Azeem Victor broke into the backfield and laid a loud hit on RB Lavon Coleman. The defense whooped it up after that.
- Carta-Samuels led the only obvious TD with the second-team defense. He opened the drive with a 9-yard scramble and later and a QB keeper close to the goal line, on a play in which true freshman LB Tevis Bartlett knocked KJCS down by the goal line. Two plays later, KJCS rolled out and threw a 3-yard TD pass to true freshman Isaiah Renfro, who made a nice play to keep both feet in bounds while hauling in the catch.
- Browning led the third and final drive, completing three straight short passes to RB Jomon Dotson, walk-on WR Jamon Jones and walk-on WR Drew Before. He added a quick third-down conversion to true freshman Andre Baccellia on a 2-yard gain to the 6-yard line. True freshman LB DJ Beavers hit Dotson for a 2-yard loss before Browning threw outside to walk-on RB Gavin McDaniel, who appeared to come up just short of the end zone. NT Greg Gaines, OLB Benning Potoa’e and LB Connor O’Brien stopped McDaniel for a 4-yard loss on the next play. On the final play, Browning scrambled outside and toward the goal line, but it was unclear if he got in or no (there’s no officials on hand this early in camp) and practice was quickly whistled over.
Practice depth chart (note: players shuffle regularly, particularly on the lines):
LT: Jake Eldrenkamp
LG: Dexter Charles
C: Siosifa Tufunga
RG: Shane Brostek
RT: Coleman Shelton/Matt James
WRs: Jaydon Mickens, Dante Pettis, Brayden Lenius
TEs: Joshua Perkins, Darrell Daniels
DE: Will Dissly
NT: Elijah Qualls
DE: Joe Mathis
Buck: Travis Feeney
MLB: Azeem Victor
WLB: Scott Lawyer/Keishawn Bierria
OLB: Cory Littleton
CB: Sidney Jones
CB: Darren Gardenhire
FS: Budda Baker
SS: Brian Clay/JoJo McIntosh/Ezekiel Turner/Trevor Walker
LT: Andrew Kirkland/Trey Adams
LG: Dane Crane/Henry Roberts
C: Michael Kneip/John Turner
RG: Jesse Sosebee/Jared Hilbers
RT: Shelton/James/Kaleb McGary/Devin Burleson
DE: Jaylen Johnson/Tani Tupou
NT: Greg Gaines/Vita Vea
DE: Jarett Finau/Shane Bowman/Damion Turpin
Buck: Psalm Wooching/Benning Potoa’e
LB: Bierria/Sean Constantine
LB: Jake Wambaugh/Connor O’Brien
OLB: Tevis Bartlett
CB: Kevin King/Austin Joyner
CB: Brandon Lewis/Jordan Miller
FS: Brandon Beaver/Hayden Schuh
— Budda Baker, who didn’t practice over the weekend while recovering from strep throat and a fever, worked for the first time with the offense (for just a couple periods). More on Budda later.
— For the first time in camp, music was back and blaring from the large speakers on the sideline during one drill. There was good energy throughout, and it’s clear guys are getting itchy to start full-speed (or close to full speed) hitting in full pads Wednesday.
— The most entertaining period was again a 7-on-7 running drill that emphasis up-tempo line-vs.-line play. The players get amped up for that one, and it’s as close to “real” football as it gets in these shoulder-pads-only practice. There was another mini scuffle, which isn’t unusual. On the first play, DE Damion Turpin recovered a Coleman fumble, which came on a bad exchange with Rodriguez. C Siosifa Tufunga had a giant pancake block of DL Tani Tupou.
— Veterans Deontae Cooper and Brian Clay were again excused from practice as they finish their graduate degrees.
Next: First practice in full pads on Wednesday morning. The Pac-12 Networks will broadcast from Husky Stadium on Wednesday, with Husky Hall of Famer Lincoln Kennedy part of the broadcast team.
This, featuring D-line coach Jeff Choate, is entertaining: