He is the first linebacker in UW's 2019 class.
Alphonzo Tuputala, a linebacker at Federal Way High School, made a verbal commitment to the Huskies on Monday evening, becoming the first linebacker to join UW’s 2019 recruiting class.
He is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports.com. He is listed as 6-feet-2 and 220 pounds on his hudl.com recruiting page.
Washington was his only Power Five scholarship offer. He did have offers from the likes of Air Force, Idaho, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Portland State and Utah State.
At Federal Way, Tuputala also plays quarterback and fullback.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Will UW men land 5-star recruit Isaiah Stewart? Huskies will find out Sunday
- Jake Browning gets start, throws two interceptions during NFLPA Collegiate Bowl
- What separates the haves and the have-nots of high-school athletics — and Washington's plan to fix it
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- UW's Jake Browning set to play in NFLPA Collegiate Bowl at the Rose Bowl on Saturday
“Alphonzo has been the heart and soul of the football team this season. He is the engine that makes us go,” Federal Way coach John Meagher told the Federal Way Mirror last fall. “Alphonzo plays both sides of the ball in two of the most difficult positions. As a read-option quarterback, he has to read and react to the offenses we play. Alphonzo is one of our team captains this year, and his leadership has been vital to our team unity.”
UW 2019 RECRUITING CLASS
Dylan Morris, 6-1, 200, Graham-Kapowsin HS
Cameron Davis, RB, 6-0, 185, Upland HS, Upland, Calif.
Taj Davis, WR, 6-2, 185, Upland HS, Upland, Calif.
Nathaniel Kalepo, OL, 6-6, 300, Rainier Beach HS
Corey Luciano, OL, 6-5, 286, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, Calif.
Noa Ngalu, DT, 6-2, 265, Menlo-Atherton HS (Menlo Park, Calif.)
Sama Paama, DT, 6-5, 340, Kaimuki HS, Honolulu
Alphonzo Tuputala, LB, 6-2, 220, Federal Way HS
Kamren Fabiculanan, CB, 6-1, 175, Westlake HS, Westlake Village, Calif.
— Alphonzo Tuputala (@ATuputala) June 12, 2018