He is the first linebacker in UW's 2019 class.
Alphonzo Tuputala, a linebacker at Federal Way High School, made a verbal commitment to the Huskies on Monday evening, becoming the first linebacker to join UW’s 2019 recruiting class.
He is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports.com. He is listed as 6-feet-2 and 220 pounds on his hudl.com recruiting page.
Washington was his only Power Five scholarship offer. He did have offers from the likes of Air Force, Idaho, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Portland State and Utah State.
At Federal Way, Tuputala also plays quarterback and fullback.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mailbag: What does the future hold for Kam Chancellor, George Fant and Malik McDowell?
- WSU coach Mike Leach tweets fake Barack Obama video, stirs up a Twitter storm
- Former Seahawk Michael Bennett reflective rather than bitter in return to Seattle on book tour
- Huskies get commitment from Idaho offensive lineman Gaard Memmelaar
- Freshman Devin Culp eager to help Huskies’ suddenly thin tight end room
“Alphonzo has been the heart and soul of the football team this season. He is the engine that makes us go,” Federal Way coach John Meagher told the Federal Way Mirror last fall. “Alphonzo plays both sides of the ball in two of the most difficult positions. As a read-option quarterback, he has to read and react to the offenses we play. Alphonzo is one of our team captains this year, and his leadership has been vital to our team unity.”
UW 2019 RECRUITING CLASS
Dylan Morris, 6-1, 200, Graham-Kapowsin HS
Cameron Davis, RB, 6-0, 185, Upland HS, Upland, Calif.
Taj Davis, WR, 6-2, 185, Upland HS, Upland, Calif.
Nathaniel Kalepo, OL, 6-6, 300, Rainier Beach HS
Corey Luciano, OL, 6-5, 286, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, Calif.
Noa Ngalu, DT, 6-2, 265, Menlo-Atherton HS (Menlo Park, Calif.)
Sama Paama, DT, 6-5, 340, Kaimuki HS, Honolulu
Alphonzo Tuputala, LB, 6-2, 220, Federal Way HS
Kamren Fabiculanan, CB, 6-1, 175, Westlake HS, Westlake Village, Calif.
— Alphonzo Tuputala (@ATuputala) June 12, 2018