The junior-college punter says he plans to enroll at UW in January.
Joel Whitford, a punter at Santa Barbara (Calif.) City College, has made a verbal commitment to the Huskies, according to 247sports.com and Scout.com.
Whitford averaged 37.6 yards on his 47 punt attempts for Santa Barbara last season. Originally from Australia, Whitford would seem to fit in well with Chris Petersen’s preferred rugby-style punting.
“I am a former rugby player, so I have the ‘rugby style’ down pretty well,” Whitford told Scout. “I can do directional and regular punting pretty well and I am 22 right now, so I think the (UW) coaches liked that I was a bit older and had spent some time playing at the collegiate level already.”
Whitford added that he is scheduled to finish his two-year degree this fall and plans to enroll at UW in January.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Here's why Jarred Kelenic is the biggest conundrum in the Mariners' rebuilding plan
- Former Sonic Spencer Haywood calls his portrayal in HBO's 'Winning Time' a 'blessing'
- Mariners option Jarred Kelenic to Class AAA Tacoma, make seven other roster moves
- Ex-Seattle safety Earl Thomas arrested over protective order
- Just as predicted, struggling Mariners edge powerful Mets, ace Max Scherzer to open series
With the graduation of Korey Durkee, the Huskies are breaking in a new punter this offseason, with junior Tristan Vizcaino and true freshman Van Soderberg competing for the job.
UW’s 2017 recruiting class
Hunter Bryant, TE, 6-3, 240, Eastside Catholic HS, Sammamish
Terrell Bynum, WR, 6-1, 177, St. John Bosco, Bellflower, Calif.
Alex Cook, WR, 6-2, 180, Sheldon HS, Sacramento
Ty Jones, WR, 6-4, 195, Provo HS, Provo, Utah
Ariel Ngata, LB, 6-4, 210, Folsom HS, Folsom, Calif.
Keith Taylor, CB, 6-2, 180, Servite HS, Anaheim, Calif.
Marlon Tuipulotu, DT, 6-2, 275, Central HS, Independence, Ore.
Connor Wedington, RB, 5-11, 183, Sumner HS, Sumner
Joel Whitford, 6-3, 200, Santa Barbara (Calif.) JC; Neerim South, Victoria, Australia