Running back Saquon Barkley is a projected top-five pick in the NFL draft.
First glance: No. 12 Washington Huskies (10-2) vs. No. 9 Penn State Nittany Lions (10-2)
When: 1 p.m. PT, Dec. 30
Where: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz.
Latest line: Penn State is favored by three points.
1921: Penn State 21, UW 7
1983: Penn State 13, UW 10 (Aloha Bowl)
Most Read Sports Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Seahawks head to L.A. hoping to stay perfect on the road, move into first in NFC
- Eastside Catholic battles back in final minute to down O'Dea in Class 3A football championship VIEW
- Seahawks draft class of 2018 becoming a big part of Seattle's late-season surge
- Will Jimmy Lake's transition to head coach be a smooth one at Washington? History is on the Huskies' side | Larry Stone WATCH
Coach: James Franklin is in his fourth season at Penn State, after three years at Vanderbilt. He has a 59-32 career record (35-17 at Penn State). Noteworthy: Franklin was a graduate assistant coach at Washington State in 1998.
Saquon Barkley, junior running back: ESPN’s Mel Kiper lists Barkely as the No. 1 prospect for the 2018 draft. Barkley, 5-feet-11 and 230 pounds, has 1,134 yards rushing and 16 TDs this season, and in three years has scored 51 total TDs (41 rushing, 8 receiving, 2 kick returns).
Trace McSorley, senior quarterback: The 6-foot, 195-pound senior has completed 65 percent of his passes (252-for-386) for 3,228 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INT this season. Also rushed for 431 yards and 11 TDs.
Mike Gesicki, senior tight end: One of the top tight ends in the nation, 6-foot-6 senior has 51 catches for 501 yards and 9 TDs this season.
Jason Cabinda, senior linebacker: The 234-pound senior leads the team with 84 tackles in 12 games, plus 6.0 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.
By the numbers:
41.6 — points per game for Penn State’s offense, which ranks seventh nationally.
15.5 — points per game allowed by Penn State’s defense, which ranks seventh nationally.
4 — combined margin of defeat in Penn State’s two losses (39-38 at Ohio State on Oct. 28 and 27-24 at Michigan State on Nov. 4).
1 — Penn State has one win over a team currently ranked in the top 25 (31-7 at Northwestern on Oct. 7).