Petersen: "We just play. It is what it is."
Kickoff time for the Huskies’ next road game — at UCLA on Oct. 6 — won’t be announced until this Sunday, at the earliest.
On Monday, Fox Sports opted used one of its two six-day selection windows and for its 4:30 p.m. kickoff slot on Oct. 6 will choose between UW-UCLA or Utah-Stanford that day (depending on how those teams fare this weekend).
Whichever game Fox does not choose will fall to ESPN for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.
The No. 11 Huskies, no doubt, would prefer the earlier start time. Chris Petersen has said he would always prefer earlier start times, and that would certainly be true of a road game — when UW’s chartered flight doesn’t arrive back in Seattle until the early morning — and even more so in this case because the Huskies will be preparing to play back-to-back road games.
Most Read Sports Stories
- 'You mean the nicest guy in camp': Evan White is the future at first base for the Mariners
- Bobby Wagner remains a constant at linebacker for Seahawks but there could be a lot of change elsewhere | 2019 position analysis
- Co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake staying at Washington, with a smile on his face | Matt Calkins
- For the Pac-12, the road to the NCAA tournament goes through Washington
- Three impressions from UW's 72-70 win at WSU: Huskies are close to locking up the Pac-12 title WATCH
And perhaps back-to-back road games at night.
After UCLA, the Huskies head to Eugene for a pivotal Pac-12 North showdown on Oct. 13. Oregon will be coming off its bye week.
Petersen was asked Monday if anyone at UW would try to lobby Fox this week to select UW-UCLA for the earlier kickoff slot.
“There’s no lobbying,” he said. “We just play. It is what it is.”
ESPN still has its two six-day selections available to use this season.