Markelle Fultz lead UW with 20 points and David Crisp adds 14 points and 10 assists.

Share story

Lorenzo Romar could live with a little showboating once his Huskies unleashed a full-court press on Oregon State that reignited an exuberance in the Washington men’s basketball team that had been missing its previous two outings.

So when Carlos Johnson drew a technical foul after a chin-up dunk in the 81-67 victory Saturday, the UW coach calmly motioned the freshman guard to the sideline for a quick chat.

However, minutes later, David Crisp drew Romar’s ire when he threw a pass off the glass to Markelle Fultz that turned a surefire two-on-one fast-break layup into an ugly turnover.

Romar lost his cool and his suit jacket while summoning Crisp to the bench where he remained for the rest of the first half.

“Didn’t have a whole lot of words for him to tell you the truth,” Romar said. “I think it kind of spoke for itself. I know what he was trying to do, but that’s just one of the things we’re working hard on.

“That mindset of being businesslike out there. He knows. It wasn’t something like there was a grudge being held and you’re going to benched for the rest of the game. He only came out as a reminder.”

Said Crisp: “I saw his jacket on the ground so he didn’t have to say anything to me.”
It was a rare miscalculation for Crisp who proved to be the catalyst in what was otherwise a near-flawless performance for the Huskies.

“David is really starting to emerge as a leader on this team,” Romar said. “You can just see it. It’s been good to see him do that. It’s been good for our team.”

The sophomore guard dished a career-high 10 assists and scored 14 points, including two three-pointers, while directing a UW offense that shot 54.8 percent from the field.

The Huskies had 17 assists on 34 baskets and Crisp was in the middle of it all.

In the first half, he delivered pinpoint passes to Malik Dime and Fultz who converted alley-oop dunks as the Huskies took a 43-28 lead into halftime.

After the break, Crisp proved he learned his lesson from the benching.

Against OSU guard Kendal Manuel, who was backpedaling and vulnerable, Crisp bounced a pass to Fultz who trailed the play and finished with a soaring dunk that put UW up 56-30 with 15:02 left.

By then, the outcome was decided and the Huskies (8-7, 1-2) were cruising to their first Pac-12 victory in front of 7,781 spectators at Alaska Airlines Arena.

“Whatever I got to do to help the team win I’m going to do it,” Crisp said. “Distributing the ball was this game and I just tried to do that.”

Fultz finished with 20 points and five assists, Johnson scored a career-high 15 points and Matisse Thybulle snapped a three-game scoring funk with 17 points.

But this game provided further proof that Crisp is instrumental if the Huskies are going to make a push for the postseason.

Washington might have also discovered something with a full-court press that sparked a 12-0 run and turned an 8-7 deficit into a 19-8 lead.

The Huskies, who extended their lead to 31 points midway in the second half, never looked back from there. They led for 38½ minutes and turned 15 turnovers into 29 points.

Washington held Oregon State, which played without leading scorer Tres Tinkle (wrist), to 41.8 percent shooting from the field. Former Peninsula High star JaQuori McLaughlin and Drew Eubanks each scored 19 points for Oregon State, which fell to 4-13 and 0-4.

“We know they don’t really want to play fast and we tried to speed them up,” Crisp said. “With our length and athleticism, we know we can cause problems for teams. We tried to do that in this game and it paid off.
“Anytime you get a team outside their comfort zone you try to do that. A lot of teams can’t handle pressure well. We feed off of that. Getting stops.”

Crisp credited a team meeting Friday night for the Huskies’ turnaround.

“It was pretty much like we draw the line here,” he said. “Everybody has got to buy in. Reset our foundations. Everybody just locked back in. Hopefully we can build off of that.”