The award is given out each year to honor undergraduate students who have excelled on the field, in the classroom and community
Washington women’s soccer player Sam Kokoska was named one of three female finalists for the Arthur Ashe Sports Scholar of the Year Award by Diverse Magazine. The award is given out each year to honor undergraduate students who have excelled on the field, in the classroom and community.
Kokoska, a junior, was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic first team for the second consecutive year. Kokoska has maintained a 3.93 cumulative GPA during her time at Washington.
Diverse Magazine will announce the winner of this year’s Arthur Ashe Award on April 5.
• Washington freshman Noah Woolsey sits alone atop the leaderboard with a 5-under 67 after the first round of the Southern Highlands Collegiate in Las Vegas. The Huskies made a late move and are tied for eighth at 5-over 293.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Meet Seattle sports' newest power couple: Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe
- Dwyane Wade wants to bring the Sonics back to Seattle
- Q&A: Days after posting doctored Obama video on Twitter, WSU coach Mike Leach has much more to say
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Mike Leake’s gem helps Mariners end losing streak with 7-2 victory over Red Sox
• Seattle U’s Shianne Smith, a freshman right-hander, was named WAC softball pitcher of the week.