The top-ranked Huskies match their best start in six years with a win over the Longhorns.
The top-ranked Washington Huskies matched their best softball start in the last six years with a 2-1 victory at Texas to move to 13-0 this season.
Kirstyn Thomas had two hits, including a triple, scoring the Huskies’ first run on a Julia DePonte double. Trysten Melhart also went 2 for 3 with a run.
Taran Alvelo earned her fifth win in as many games with another complete game. Alvelo struck out 10 and has 35 strikeouts over her last 19 innings.
Seattle Reign FC
• Seattle Reign FC announced its schedule for the National Women’s Soccer League regular season. Reign FC also announced that single-match tickets for the home opener against the Washington Spirit are on sale. Prices begin at $20 and can be purchased online at reignfc.com/tickets.
Most Read Sports Stories
- WSU coach Mike Leach tweets fake Barack Obama video, stirs up a Twitter storm
- Group trying to bring NHL franchise to Seattle hires former Coyotes coach Dave Tippett | Inside the NHL
- 2026 World Cup host cities: Ranking the contenders
- Mariners Sunday mailbag: Could Nelson Cruz get a David Ortiz-like situation in Seattle?
- The Mariners have brought baseball fever back to Seattle — and for good reason | Calkins
• The Washington State women’s swim team set a school record in the 800 free relay on the first day of the Pac-12 championships at King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way. The Cougars are seventh with 92 points. The quartet of Alba Fores, Rachel Thompson, Jasmine Margetts and Ryan Falk touched the wall in 7:12.87, surpassing the previous record set last year at conference championships by nearly two seconds. California leads with 128 points.
• Jordan Topping scored two goals and the Tri-City Americans earned a 4-2 victory over the visiting Seattle Thunderbirds in WHL action in Kennewick.
Austin Strand scored his 20th goal and Jarret Tyszka also scored for the T-birds.
Liam Hughes stopped 41 of 45 shots for the T-birds.