Taylor Jones’ two-run triple in the 11th proved the difference for the Zags against the Huskies.
Taylor Jones hit a two-run triple in the 11th inning, and visiting Gonzaga earned an 8-6 victory over Washington in a nonconference baseball game at Husky Ballpark on Monday night.
Jones, a Kentwood High product, also had an RBI double for the Zags.
The Bulldogs (13-9) rallied from deficits three times, including a 6-4 hole heading into the eighth inning, to take game one of a two-game series over the Huskies (12-8).
Jones hit a 2-1 pitch from UW’s fourth pitcher of the night, Alex Nesbitt (2-2), into the right-center gap.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Kelsey Plum returns to UW, searching for the same happiness that brought her college glory
- Let's make a deal? Assessing the Mariners' likely trade chips as deadline looms | Analysis
- Ranking the Seahawks’ roster | Positions 45-31: A lot of rookies expected to play key roles | Analysis
- 2A player of the year and 2020 UW commit Sawyer Racanelli to miss senior season with torn ACL
- For Mariners fans and teammates alike, why the connection to Edgar Martinez is so deep and so emotional | Larry Stone
Bulldogs’ reliever Wyatt Mills (1-1) allowed just two hits in four scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win. He had five strikeouts and walked none.
Gage Matuszak (3 for 5) hit a two-run homer, doubled and scored three runs for the Huskies. Chris Baker had two hits, including an RBI double.
• The Washington softball team earned its fourth Pac-12 Conference weekly award of the season as Taran Alvelo was named freshman of the week, picking up two victories over UCLA.
• Seattle University softball’s Alyssa Reuble has been named the Western Athletic Conference pitcher of the week.
• The Western Washington men’s golf team is in 12th place after the first two rounds of the St. Edward’s Invitational at Onion Creek Club in Austin, Texas.
The Vikings combined for a 36-hole total of 37-over 597.
Central Missouri leads the 15-team tournament, posting a first-day 15-over-par 575.
• The Everett Silvertips have signed prospect defenseman Gianni Fairbrother to a Western Hockey League Standard Player Agreement. Fairbrother, a 2000-born defenseman, was awarded top defenseman this season in the Canadian Sports School Hockey League.