GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN, Germany (AP) — Americans Breezy Johnson and Lindsey Vonn posted the fastest times in World Cup downhill training on Saturday, less than two hours before the race.
Johnson timed 1 minute, 39.52 seconds on the Kandahar course and was 0.29 seconds faster than Vonn, who has won the race in the last two years and three times in total. Sofia Goggia of Italy was 0.01 further back in third.
Training was canceled on the previous two days, forcing organizers to stage the mandatory session just before the actual race.
Another downhill is scheduled for Sunday in the last weekend of World Cup racing before the Pyeongchang Olympics.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners pile up near-misses and milestones in 7-1 loss to Minnesota Twins
- Reports: D.J. Rodman, son of former NBA star Dennis Rodman, signs with WSU Cougars
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Huskies down Fordham in their opening game at NCAA softball regionals
- 5-star recruit Isaiah Stewart is bringing a tenacious work ethic to UW. He can thank his dad for that.