American defender Matt Miazga made his debut for Reading of England’s second-tier League Championship, playing the entire match in a 1-1 draw at Bolton on Tuesday night.
The 23-year-old center back from Clifton, New Jersey, was among three players who made debuts for relegation-threatened Reading, which is one point behind 21st-place Rotherham. Emi Martinez and Nelson Oliveira also debuted, and Oliveira converted a penalty kick in the 75th minute. But Jack Hobbs tied the score with a header in stoppage time.
Miazga was sent from Chelsea to Nantes last summer on what was supposed to be a season-long loan but was recalled Friday and lent to Reading.
Chelsea acquired Miazga from Major League Soccer’s New York Red Bulls in January 2016. But he made just two appearances during the remainder of that season and was lent to Vitesse in the Netherlands for 2016-17 and 2017-18.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Gonzaga legend and Basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton draws ire for anti-vaccine comments
- Zion Tupuola-Fetui announces he'll return to UW for fifth season in 2022: 'Let's go to work'
- Seahawks position review: Russell Wilson is still the Seahawks quarterback for now. But who will be behind him?
- Here's how the overtime NFL playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills could have been even better
- Awe and regret: Looking back at new Hall of Famer David Ortiz’s roots in the Mariners organization
Miazga has 11 international appearances.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports