CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP) — Francis Alonso scored 20 points and UNC Greensboro closed on a 17-2 run for a 69-60 victory over Western Carolina on Thursday night.
UNCG (16-3, 5-1 Southern Conference) has won nine of its last 10 games since a 78-61 loss at then-No. 10 Kentucky on Dec. 1.
Isaiah Miller added 15 points and James Dickey eight points with 11 rebounds for the Spartans.
Carlos Dotson and Kameron Gibson scored 17 points apiece to lead Western Carolina (5-15, 2-5). Dotson grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Gonzaga legend and Basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton draws ire for anti-vaccine comments
- Here's how the overtime NFL playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills could have been even better
- Zion Tupuola-Fetui announces he'll return to UW for fifth season in 2022: 'Let's go to work'
- Pittsburgh LB and team captain Cam Bright announces graduate transfer to UW Huskies
- Kraken's AHL affiliate in Palm Springs eager to open new arena, begin inaugural season
Alonso hit a 3-pointer with 7:29 left to spark the decisive run, and Dickey scored all eight of his points during the stretch. Kyrin Galloway’s 3-pointer with 3:46 remaining gave the Spartans the lead for good at 59-58. Alonso added a pair of free throws to end it.