Side gig? Guess he just sort of fell into it.
Steven LoBue, the world’s third-ranked cliff diver, once put his talents to work doing leaps from 89 feet at an amusement park in Shenzhen, China.
“It was a flaming dive in a fire suit,” LoBue, 29, told The Miami Herald. “It was about as safe as it can be, considering you’re lighting yourself on fire.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mailbag: Will Seahawks keep 4 running backs, and what will they do with them?
- Washington will face Utah in Women’s College World Series opener
- Eugenio Suarez lets the Mariners walk off in 10th with series win vs. Pirates
- 'Gritty' UW women's rowing team defies expectations again to finish second in NCAA championships
- Tayler Saucedo gets key strikeout to play hometown hero for Mariners
• At SportsPickle.com: “Kobe Bryant demands trade to Kentucky Wildcats.”
• At Fark.com: “Play of the year: One pass play for 178 yards!”
Got an alibi, comrade?
Mike Vrabel, the Texans’ linebackers coach, lost the three Super Bowl rings he won with the Patriots when burglars broke into his Houston home.
Not to cast any aspersions or anything, but how do you say “one for the thumb” in Russian?
The first to win a game will be the:
a) 0-9 Oakland Raiders
b) 0-7 Philadelphia 76ers
c) 2015 Arizona Diamondbacks
Count your blessings
Taima, the Seahawks’ live mascot, went off-course on his latest pregame flight and landed on a fan.
“It could have been worse,” pointed out OtherCrap.com. “It might have been a Lions game.”
Receiver Calvin Johnson returned to the Lions’ lineup, wrote Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, because:
“a) He’s almost 100 percent. And he’s out of sick days.
“b) His mandatory quarantine is over.
“c) Golden Tate was looking a little too good.
“d) He was inspired by Taylor Swift’s ‘Shake It Off.’ ”
Talking the talk
• Bud Shaw of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, on Steelers safety Mike Mitchell launching himself over the line into the Jets’ victory formation: “In Mitchell’s defense, who knew the Jets had a victory formation?”
• Greg Cote of The Miami Herald, on why plus-sized Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval would be a good fit for the Marlins: “Miami likes his bat. Sandoval likes the Marlins’ ‘All You Can Eat Mondays’ promotion.”
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, after the world’s top-ranked badminton player failed a drug test: “Who knew, the most honest sport might turn out to be pro wrestling.”
• Len Berman of ThatsSports.com, after Rex Ryan’s team snapped its eight-game losing skid by downing the highflying Steelers: “Confused Jets fans immediately erected a billboard saying ‘Hire John Idzik.’ ”
Just win, baby
A Las Vegas sports book is giving 10-1 odds that the 0-9 Raiders will finish 0-16.
But just in case they do mess up and win one, there’s a bunch of 1976 Buccaneers and 2008 Lions — not to mention a few cases of bubbly — hunkered down in Don Shula’s basement.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com