Spencer Machacek's second-period short-handed goal proved to be the winner as the Vancouver Giants defeated the Seattle Thunderbirds 3-1...
VANCOUVER, B.C. — Spencer Machacek’s second-period short-handed goal proved to be the winner as the Vancouver Giants defeated the Seattle Thunderbirds 3-1 in Game 2 of the teams’ Western Hockey League second-round playoff series Saturday night.
The defending WHL champion Giants evened the best-of-seven series at one game each. Game 3 is Tuesday in Seattle.
The Giants outshot the Thunderbirds 39-23 before a crowd of 7,008 at Pacific Coliseum.
Andre Herman had the lone goal for Seattle, which was 1 for 6 on power plays.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- 'The future of basketball' plays at Federal Way High School. His name is Jaden McDaniels.
- The Huskies have returned to prominence in the Pac-12, and so has the roar on Montlake
- Kyle Seager showed up to Mariners camp slimmer and healthier. Will that lead to a bounce-back year?
- Is Bobby Wagner the most underappreciated superstar in Seattle sports history? | Matt Calkins
Wacey Rabbit and Michael Repik also scored goals for Vancouver.
|Seattle vs. Vancouver|
|Best-of-seven series tied 1-1.|
|Friday||Seattle won 4-3, OT|
|Saturday||Vancouver 3, Seattle 1|
|Tuesday||at Seattle, 7:05 p.m.|
|Wednesday||at Seattle, 7:05 p.m.|
|April 13||at Vancouver, 7:30 p.m.|
|April 14||at Seattle, 7:05 p.m.*|
|April 17||at Vancouver, 7 p.m.*|
|* if necessary|
VANCOUVER 3, THUNDERBIRDS 1
|Seattle||0 0 1 — 1|
|Vancouver||1 1 1 — 3|
First — 1, Vancouver, Repik 2 (Rabbit, Lucic), 17:30. Second — 2, Vancouver, Machacek 4 (Regner), 7:32. (sh). Third — 3, Seattle, Herman 2 (Jackson, Stamler), 15:58 (pp). 4, Vancouver, Rabbit 2 (Regner, Thelen), 18:53 (en). Shots on goal — Seattle 8-10-5 23. Vancouver 16-12-11 39. Goal — Seattle, Yeomans 38 shots-36 saves (5-3); Vancouver, Sexsmith 23-22 (5- 2). Power plays — Seattle 1-6; Vancouver 0-2. A — 7,008.