Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser made a friendly wager on the WNBA Finals.
The mayor of the losing city will wear the winning team’s jersey and send the winning city’s mayor a gift basket of products from locally owned women’s businesses.
If the Storm falls, then Durkan will send Bower treats from Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream, Cupcake Royale, Rachel’s Ginger Beer, Fremont Brewing, Fuel Coffee, Fran’s Chocolates and Glassybaby.
And if the Seattle Storm prevail, Bowser will send a Durkan goodies from Lee’s Flower and Card Shop, CIVIC Vodka, Baked by Yael cakepops and half-smokes from Ben’s Chili Bowl.
“We’re going to take our third – count them three – WNBA championship in three – count them three games,” Durkan said in a video shot Friday morning on top of the Space Needle. “So to the lady of the Mystics, good luck. You’re going to need it.”
Bowser had a differing take.”Seattle or D.C.? Obviously D.C.,” she said via Twitter. “We’ve dealt with our fair share of storms in D.C. this summer, and we’re prepared to handle one more. I look forward to cheering on Delle Donne and the rest of the Mystics as they bring another championship and gift basket to the district.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Soccer star Megan Rapinoe will be secretary of state if Jay Inslee has any say
- Four-star 2020 Eastside Catholic RB Sam Adams II verbally commits to UW Huskies
- Storm, WNBA looking into domestic-abuse allegations against All-Star forward Natasha Howard
- Mariners mailbag: Does Domingo Santana have spot on team post 'step back?'
- Natasha Howard, playing despite domestic abuse allegations, helps lead Storm past Liberty