Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser made a friendly wager on the WNBA Finals.
The mayor of the losing city will wear the winning team’s jersey and send the winning city’s mayor a gift basket of products from locally owned women’s businesses.
If the Storm falls, then Durkan will send Bower treats from Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream, Cupcake Royale, Rachel’s Ginger Beer, Fremont Brewing, Fuel Coffee, Fran’s Chocolates and Glassybaby.
And if the Seattle Storm prevail, Bowser will send a Durkan goodies from Lee’s Flower and Card Shop, CIVIC Vodka, Baked by Yael cakepops and half-smokes from Ben’s Chili Bowl.
“We’re going to take our third – count them three – WNBA championship in three – count them three games,” Durkan said in a video shot Friday morning on top of the Space Needle. “So to the lady of the Mystics, good luck. You’re going to need it.”
Bowser had a differing take.”Seattle or D.C.? Obviously D.C.,” she said via Twitter. “We’ve dealt with our fair share of storms in D.C. this summer, and we’re prepared to handle one more. I look forward to cheering on Delle Donne and the rest of the Mystics as they bring another championship and gift basket to the district.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- 'The future of basketball' plays at Federal Way High School. His name is Jaden McDaniels.
- The Huskies have returned to prominence in the Pac-12, and so has the roar on Montlake
- Kyle Seager showed up to Mariners camp slimmer and healthier. Will that lead to a bounce-back year?
- Is Bobby Wagner the most underappreciated superstar in Seattle sports history? | Matt Calkins