MADRID (AP) — The Spanish soccer federation wants a “final four” tournament to decide the Spanish Super Cup.
Federation president Luis Rubiales says the tournament would be played outside of Spain in the beginning of the season.
The Super Cup has been played in a one-game final between the Spanish league champion and the Copa del Rey winner, and now Rubiales wants to include the runner-ups in both competitions.
The changed format could start as soon as next season.
Most Read Sports Stories
- 'Dawgs helping Dawgs': How a fellow UW football alum helped former QB Cody Pickett avoid open-heart surgery
- Blame the pandemic, but many of Washington's top football seniors finding college opportunities hard to find
- Seahawks position review: One-and-done for tight end Gerald Everett? Is Colby Parkinson ready to take a major leap forward?
- Chips List 2022: The top 100 high-school football prospects in Washington
- Where things stand with the Seahawks' defensive coordinator opening as NFL teams make hires
Rubiales says the proposal will be made during the federation’s general assembly. He did not say which country would stage the tournament’s new format.
Last year’s final, won by Barcelona against Sevilla, was played in Tangier, Morocco.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports