Stefan Frei dived to deflect a Colorado shot on a breakaway in the 82nd minute to preserve a 2-1 Seattle win over the Rapids.
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Will Bruin scored twice and Stefan Frei made a spectacular save to help the Seattle Sounders to their second win in their past eight games, 2-1 over the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday night.
It was Seattle’s second straight win over Colorado on the Fourth of July.
The Sounders are 7-3-1 all-time at Colorado (4-10-3).
Bruin put Seattle (4-9-3) in front in the 19th minute, finding the ball in open space in front of the goal box and beating goalkeeper Tim Howard with a shot into the lower left corner.
Most Read Sports Stories
- How MLS’ ruling allowing Iron Front flag might be pushing away Sounders fans | Matt Calkins
- The Times' Ten NFL Power Rankings: How high do the Seahawks climb?
- Seahawks mailbag: What's up with Michael Dickson, and what happens now to L.J. Collier? | Analysis
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The Washington-Oregon rivalry is a unique experience — and not just between the lines
Colorado’s Sam Nicholson headed home a long entry pass from Edgar Castillo in the 40th minute, but Bruin scored the game-winner off an ill-advised clearing pass by Howard in the 59th minute.
Frei dived to his left to deflect a Colorado shot on a breakaway in the 82nd minute.
Five Colorado players were shown yellow cards, three for unsporting behavior, one for time-wasting and one for persistent infringement.
The Sounders continue on the road this week. Coach Brian Schmetzer’s side heads across the country for a matchup at Gillette Stadium against the New England Revolution on Saturday.