Stefan Frei dived to deflect a Colorado shot on a breakaway in the 82nd minute to preserve a 2-1 Seattle win over the Rapids.
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Will Bruin scored twice and Stefan Frei made a spectacular save to help the Seattle Sounders to their second win in their past eight games, 2-1 over the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday night.
It was Seattle’s second straight win over Colorado on the Fourth of July.
The Sounders are 7-3-1 all-time at Colorado (4-10-3).
Bruin put Seattle (4-9-3) in front in the 19th minute, finding the ball in open space in front of the goal box and beating goalkeeper Tim Howard with a shot into the lower left corner.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Ichiro announces his retirement after Mariners’ final game in Japan WATCH
- UW Huskies, coach Mike Hopkins agree to six-year, $17.5 million contract extension
- Ichiro, always a master of timing, gets it right again with his retirement | Larry Stone
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Analysis: Re-ranking the Seahawks' positions of need following the first wave of free agency
Colorado’s Sam Nicholson headed home a long entry pass from Edgar Castillo in the 40th minute, but Bruin scored the game-winner off an ill-advised clearing pass by Howard in the 59th minute.
Frei dived to his left to deflect a Colorado shot on a breakaway in the 82nd minute.
Five Colorado players were shown yellow cards, three for unsporting behavior, one for time-wasting and one for persistent infringement.
The Sounders continue on the road this week. Coach Brian Schmetzer’s side heads across the country for a matchup at Gillette Stadium against the New England Revolution on Saturday.