Longtime head coach Sigi Schmid, who parted ways with the club on Tuesday morning after more than seven years in charge, spoke at a send-off event hosted by the Emerald City Supporters group on Thursday evening at Pioneer Square.
Longtime head coach Sigi Schmid, who parted ways with the club on Tuesday morning after more than seven years in charge, addressed Sounders fans at a send-off event hosted by the Emerald City Supporters group on Thursday evening at Pioneer Square.
“I thought it would be a little easier,” Schmid said in the video above. “It’s not easy. The main thing that made my time here in Seattle so special was you guys — you guys and your support.
“Coaching in L.A., sometimes even if you had a good game, if you took a late goal, you’d get abused coming off the field. You guys were always there. You guys were always supportive. You guys were always behind us.
“I know we didn’t get the MLS Cup. There’s nothing I wanted to do more than to be involved in a parade going around this city. But we won four Open Cups. We won a Supporters’ Shield.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Current and former Seahawks, including Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin, speak out on George Floyd's death, weekend protests
- For teen soccer star from Malawi, getting stuck in Seattle amid coronavirus pandemic has silver lining VIEW
- Analysis: Which team has the best odds to win the Pac-12 football title this fall
- MLB players offer 114-game season, no more salary cuts
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on death of George Floyd: 'I'm hurting and pissed off, like everybody else' WATCH
“I had always hoped that I could sort of leave on my own terms when I left here. But it was definitely unique and special and I’ll always remember it. I wish it could have gone on and on.
“Seattle will always have a soft spot in my heart. I’ll always be a Sounders fan. Sunday might be tough to watch, if I’m being very honest. But this is the best soccer experience that I’ve been able to be a part of as a coach. It will always be special and always be unique.”