Sounders midfielder Victor Rodriguez is again out with a pulled quad, meaning the Sounders have had to shuffle ahead of their playoff opener Suday in Vancouver
Sounders midfielder Victor Rodriguez will miss Sunday night’s opener of the Western Conference semifinals in Vancouver, despite showing signs the past week that his quad muscle pull had healed. Rodriguez appeared to be running at pretty full speed late in the week, but apparently it wasn’t enough to crack the roster of 18.
That means Harry Shipp will again start for the Sounders, out on the right flank. Joevin Jones has been pushed up to the left wing, while Nouhou takes his left back spot. Nicolas Lodeiro is in the middle, in place of Clint Dempsey, while Jordy Delem makes a surprise start in the defensive midfield.
Osvaldo Alonso and Gustav Svensson are dressed, as expected, but will start the game on the bench.
So, not exactly the optimal Sounders lineup as they try to steal a win here — or, at least score a goal — on the road at B.C. Place Stadium. Their last two games here ended in a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 loss. The Sounders beat the Whitecaps 3-0 a month ago, but that was at home.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Crowd makes 'huge difference' as Mariners shed scoreless albatross in season-opening win
- Luis Castillo dominates, Ty France plays hero in Mariners' season-opening win over Guardians
- Seahawks withdraw restricted free-agent tender to safety Ryan Neal
- 'Filthiest' pitch in MLB belongs to Mariners reliever Matt Brash
- How UW's Ryan Grubb — an ex-hog farmer — became one of college football's best offensive coordinators
GK Stefan Frei
CB Roman Torres
CB Chad Marshall
RB Kelvin Leerdam
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Dordy Delem
MF Harry Shipp
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
MF Joevin Jones
FW Will Bruin