The Sounders’ season-end media availability on Wednesday wouldn’t have felt complete without one last Sigi Schmid anecdote for the year. In response to a question about Seattle’s match against Club America in Mexico City next March, he answered with the tale of the first time he ever visited Azteca Stadium — in the trunk of a car.
“So there were five of us and we had four tickets,” Schmid opened. “We had a box, so you were allowed to park your car in the stadium. We couldn’t go into the stadium with five, so we drew straws and I got the short straw so I had to get into the trunk of the car and we drove in.
“It was 1983, and we were watching the opening game between Australia and Mexico at the under-20 championships. When we got inside, they banged on the trunk and let me out, thankfully, so that I could see the game. I promised myself then and there that the next time I went to Azteca, I’d be on the field. 10 years later, I was on the field standing next to (former U.S. national team coach) Bora (Milutinović) as an assistant. I’m hoping this trip to Azteca is much better to that one.
“Thankfully I only had to be in there for about 20 minutes. When I watch those police shows, I know what that feels like.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Luis Castillo dominates, Ty France plays hero in Mariners' season-opening win over Guardians
- Crowd makes 'huge difference' as Mariners shed scoreless albatross in season-opening win
- With Seahawks' Carroll and Schneider watching, QB Anthony Richardson shows his tantalizing talent at pro day
- With Bobby Wagner's contract unveiled, here's how much salary cap space the Seahawks have
- Mariners-Guardians GameCenter: Live updates, highlights, how to watch, stream MLB Opening Day