The Sounders head into a crucial home match Saturday against Portland missing star goalkeeper Stefan Frei, who remains in concussion protocol after taking a blow to the head late in last weekend's game against Chicago.
Stefan Frei didn’t make it out of concussion protocol in time, so Bryan Meredith gets his first action of the season in goal on Saturday as the Sounders seek a much-needed win over visiting Portland.
At just 3-8-3 and with a slew of road games ahead, the Sounders desperately need a three-point result against the Timbers. They’ll have much of their familliar lineup on attack, with Will Bruin up top and Clint Dempsey, Victor Rodriguez and Nicolas Lodeiro in the midfield. Jordan McCrary has seen his foot problem subside enough to get the right back start, meaning Cristian Roldan heads back to his familliar defensive midfield role.
He’s needed there to assist Osvaldo Alonso, who has not looked very good over anything but small stretches of playing time this season.
Dempsey snapped out of his scoring slump last season and has nine goals in this Cascadia derby to lead all others.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners' Jean Segura sure hit like an All-Star Game MVP, but maybe this was another snub
- UW Huskies fall preview: How can Vita Vea be replaced on the defensive line?
- Ranking the Seahawks roster | Positions 75-61: The land of intriguing roster-spot battles
- Analysis: Is Richard Sherman right? Have the Seahawks lost their way?
- Analysis: The Mariners are on pace to make the playoffs. But ... how?
GK Bryan Meredith
RB Jordan McCrary
CB Kim Kee-hee
CB Chad Marshall
LB Waylon Francis
MF Osvaldo Alonso
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Victor Rodriguez
MF Clint Dempsey
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
FW Will Bruin