The Sounders head into a crucial home match Saturday against Portland missing star goalkeeper Stefan Frei, who remains in concussion protocol after taking a blow to the head late in last weekend's game against Chicago.
Stefan Frei didn’t make it out of concussion protocol in time, so Bryan Meredith gets his first action of the season in goal on Saturday as the Sounders seek a much-needed win over visiting Portland.
At just 3-8-3 and with a slew of road games ahead, the Sounders desperately need a three-point result against the Timbers. They’ll have much of their familliar lineup on attack, with Will Bruin up top and Clint Dempsey, Victor Rodriguez and Nicolas Lodeiro in the midfield. Jordan McCrary has seen his foot problem subside enough to get the right back start, meaning Cristian Roldan heads back to his familliar defensive midfield role.
He’s needed there to assist Osvaldo Alonso, who has not looked very good over anything but small stretches of playing time this season.
Dempsey snapped out of his scoring slump last season and has nine goals in this Cascadia derby to lead all others.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Earl Thomas doesn't practice Friday amid mysterious circumstances and team won't say if he will play Sunday WATCH
- An inside look at Chris Petersen and Washington's somewhat cantankerous relationship with ESPN
- One is a bodybuilding mother battling fibromyalgia. Her daughter is a teenage powerlifting protege. Together, they're breaking barriers. WATCH
- Seahawks mailbag: Why don't they go no-huddle more? What happens now to Shaquem Griffin?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
GK Bryan Meredith
RB Jordan McCrary
CB Kim Kee-hee
CB Chad Marshall
LB Waylon Francis
MF Osvaldo Alonso
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Victor Rodriguez
MF Clint Dempsey
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
FW Will Bruin