Sounders forward Jordan Morris and midfielder Cristian Roldan have been called into January training camp by the U.S. Men's National Team ahead of a Jan. 28 'friendly' against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Looks like Jordan Morris and Cristian Roldan will get some more buddy time this short off-season as the pair on Monday were called up to the U.S. Men’s National Team camp ahead of a scheduled Jan. 28 “friendly” against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Morris, of course, is a veteran of these things, having been at last year’s January camp and with 24 international caps to his credit already. Good pal Roldan received his first cap last summer during CONCACAF Gold Cup play and was on the bench during three other USMNT matches as well.
The national side is undergoing a youth movement of sorts after last year’s debacle in which it failed to qualify for this summer’s FIFA World Cup in Russia. The camp begins Jan. 10 in Carson, Calif. and will mean an even heavier workload for two of the Sounders’ top young players before the 2018 season begins.
It was less than a month ago that the Sounders were defeated 2-0 by Toronto FC in the MLS Cup championship game. Now, the team is poised to open its own training camp in Tukwila in just two weeks ahead of an extended stay in Chula Vista, Calif. from Jan. 22-28.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Could Russell Wilson and the Seahawks consider the uncommon contract path of Tom Brady? | Matt Calkins
- Edgar Martinez, legendary Mariners DH, overcomes odds to make Baseball Hall of Fame in final attempt WATCH
- Tosh Lupoi's departure from Alabama could be Pac-12's biggest recruiting coup of the year
- Mariners acquire Reds infield prospect Shed Long as part of three-team trade with Yankees
- The moment has arrived: Edgar Martinez awaits Hall of Fame call — and it’s looking good
After that, in addition to Major League Soccer pre-season matches, the Sounders play a two-leg CONCACAF Champions League series against Santa Tecla FC in El Salvador starting Feb. 22 in that Central American nation. Santa Tecla plays the return match on March 1 at CenturyLink Field before opening the MLS regular season at home against expansion Los Angeles FC just three days later.