Despite having scored four goals in four games since shifting inside to center forward, Sounders rookie Jordan Morris found himself back on the wing for last Saturday's 2-0 loss at FC Dallas.
Despite having scored four goals in four games since shifting inside to center forward, Sounders rookie Jordan Morris found himself back on the wing for Saturday’s 2-0 loss at FC Dallas.
Morris often was isolated and rarely involved in the game. He managed just one shot — which was, granted, a free header in front of goal. He had four shots and scored a goal against San Jose in the previous game.
“He ended up being a little too defensive out on the wing,” Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said Monday. “That’s a little give and take. … Jordan needs to always continue to make his runs in behind. If he’s looking to get in behind, it forces the defender back.”
Schmid also said shifting Clint Dempsey up front and pushing Morris out wide was to accommodate three true midfielders into Seattle’s 4-3-3 formation. The plan was to combat Dallas’ talented midfield line by packing the middle and neutralizing playmaker Mauro Diaz.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: What we've learned from the Mariners' bad start to the season
- UW coaching legend Jim Lambright’s brain donation pays dividends years after his death
- Huskies' loss at softball regional was so much more than the end of a season — it was the end of Gabbie Plain's standout run on Montlake
- Washington gets first win vs. Texas but can't get the second one needed to advance from softball regional
- What we learned on the first day of Seahawks' OTAs
“We had three really quality chances in the first 18 minutes of the game,” Schmid said.
Schmid also elaborated upon Nelson Valdez’s surprising scratch from the game-day squad in Frisco, Texas.
The Paraguayan forward injured his calf during shooting drills after Wednesday’s practice and didn’t travel to the match.
Valdez, who has started fewer than half of Seattle’s 10 MLS games and hasn’t made the starting 11 since April 2, was absent from Monday’s practice and working individually in the gym, Schmid said.