Stefan Frei is back in the net as the Sounders face the Houston Dynamo in the second leg of the Western Conference final at CenturyLink Field with a chance to advance to the MLS Cup championship next week in Toronto
Stefan Frei is back in goal for the Sounders as they try to wrap up a berth in next week’s MLS Cup final at Toronto next week.
Frei missed last week’s 2-0 win at Houston with a hamstring injury. But he got full workouts in this week and was pronounced ready to go ahead of Thursday’s second-leg match at CenturyLink Field against the Dynamo. Another Sounders regular dressed for the match, but starting on the bench, is forward Jordan Morris, who hasn’t played in more than two months since going down with a severe hamstring injury.
Sounders coach Brian Schmetzer said Wednesday that Morris could see playing time depending on how circumstances of the game shake out.
Victor Rodriguez is back in the starting lineup, flanked out on the right wing. And that’s allowed Schmetzer to drop Nicolas Lodeiro back in to a defensive midfield role and use Gustav Svensson at center back. He’d toyed earlier in the week with using Tony Alfaro in place of suspended Roman Torres, but has gone with the veteran Svensson instead.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Sumner grad Connor Wedington says it's 'surreal' to be a Seahawk. But can he make the 53-man roster?
- Mariners repeat 7-3 victory over Cleveland behind Mitch Haniger, Dylan Moore
- Seahawks notes: Pete Carroll calls DK Metcalf's 100-meter dash 'marvelous' and 'awesome'
- Storm shows why it still is the team to beat in WNBA, thumps Vegas in opener
- Former Eastside Catholic five-star guard Nolan Hickman commits to Gonzaga