Sounders defensive midfielder Osvaldo Alonso will miss Thursday night's do-or-die clash with the Vancouver Whitecaps at CenturyLink Field, meaning Nicolas Lodeiro drops back out of an attacking role
As expected, the Sounders will be shifting some players around on Thursday night in the second leg of their Western Conference semifinal against the Vancouver Whitecaps. But one thing not expected is that defensive midfielder Osvaldo Alonso is not dressed for the match, meaning Nicolas Lodeiro drops back to cover his spot alongside Cristian Roldan.
The loss of Lodeiro up high means the Sounders are without two of their three regulars in the attacking midfield triangle. Clint Dempsey will return, but with Lodeiro pushed further back and Victor Rodriguez limited to a substitution role, things could get interesting. Remember, somebody will have to score to decide this series.
Gustav Svensson is available in the defensive midfield, but will again be used as a substitute like he was in the series opener. The Sounders got some strong offensive production out of Lodeiro the previous time he took over for Alonso, but obviously, in a do-or-die match, there’s little room for error.
Joevin Jones again moves up to left wing while Nouhou plays at left back. Harry Shipp flanks Dempsey to his right.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Expect the Mariners to be trade-deadline buyers. So, who are potential targets?
- UW Huskies fall preview: What kind of impact can five-star LB Ale Kaho make?
- More money would be good, but WNBA-NBA wage gap is about economics, not gender | Matt Calkins
- UW Huskies fall preview: How can Vita Vea be replaced on the defensive line?
- Analysis: The Mariners are on pace to make the playoffs. But ... how?
GK Stefan Frei
CB Roman Torres
CB Chad Marshall
RB Kelvin Leerdam
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
MF Joevin Jones
FW Clint Dempsey
MF Harry Shipp
FW Will Bruin