Jure Matjasic scored for Sacramento in the 115th minute, giving the host club a 2-1 victory in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup.
Jure Matjasic’s rebound goal in the 115th minute gave Sacramento Republic FC a 2-1 victory over the visiting Seattle Sounders in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday night.
Cameron Iwasa scored for Sacramento in the 60th minute and the goal looked as if it would hold up.
But the Sounders’ Harry Shipp scored one minute into stoppage time, forcing the match to go into overtime.
The Sounders were playing mostly reserves and players from Sounders S2. Sacramento outshot the Sounders 26-7, including 9-2 in shots on goal.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Tosh Lupoi's departure from Alabama could be Pac-12's biggest recruiting coup of the year
- Mariners acquire Reds infield prospect Shed Long as part of three-team trade with Yankees
- It's Washington: Top-5 recruit Isaiah Stewart picks Huskies over Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky
- The moment has arrived: Edgar Martinez awaits Hall of Fame call — and it’s looking good
- Track Edgar Martinez's 2019 Hall of Fame vote count VIEW
Republic FC is one of only 12 non-MLS teams remaining in the round’s 32-team bracket.
Republic FC and Seattle Sounders last met for a preseason match in February with the Sounders besting Sacramento 3-1 at Papa Murphy’s Park. Jordan Morris had two goals for the Sounders in that win.