Jure Matjasic scored for Sacramento in the 115th minute, giving the host club a 2-1 victory in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup.
Jure Matjasic’s rebound goal in the 115th minute gave Sacramento Republic FC a 2-1 victory over the visiting Seattle Sounders in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday night.
Cameron Iwasa scored for Sacramento in the 60th minute and the goal looked as if it would hold up.
But the Sounders’ Harry Shipp scored one minute into stoppage time, forcing the match to go into overtime.
The Sounders were playing mostly reserves and players from Sounders S2. Sacramento outshot the Sounders 26-7, including 9-2 in shots on goal.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Huskies get commitment from four-star defensive tackle Jacob Bandes
- Huskies coach Chris Petersen? Yeah, he really is an OKG, his peers say
- 5 things to watch in Seahawks-Chargers: Who will step up at right CB? Is Brandon Marshall for real?
- Seahawks surprisingly release DE Marcus Smith for personal reasons, sign veteran DE Erik Walden WATCH
- Analysis: Earl Thomas almost an afterthought as Seahawks end training camp
Republic FC is one of only 12 non-MLS teams remaining in the round’s 32-team bracket.
Republic FC and Seattle Sounders last met for a preseason match in February with the Sounders besting Sacramento 3-1 at Papa Murphy’s Park. Jordan Morris had two goals for the Sounders in that win.