Sounders midfielder Victor Rodriguez, one of the more dynamic offensive players for the team in recent weeks, is out for Sunday's season finale with a pulled quad muscle.
Sunday’s season finale for the Sounders just got a little more complicated with news that midfielder Victor Rodriguez has been scratched with a pulled quad muscle. Rodriguez injured the quad in training with the team on Friday.
Harry Shipp gets a rare start in Rodriguez’s spot, playing out on the right wing. Joevin Jones bumps up to left wing while Nouhou takes over at left back. Nicolas Lodeiro is again in the defensive midfield, taking over for the injured Osvaldo Alonso.
The Sounders need a home win Sunday against the Colorado Rapids to clinch second place in the Western Conference and an automatic bye in to the second round of the playoffs. Rodriguez has been one of the better Sounders attackers since coming over from Spain during the summer transfer window. In recent weeks, playing out on the left wing, he and his attacking teammates had started to mesh and produce — especially at home with seven goals the last two games.
So, even though the Rapids have nothing to play for, this one could get interesting.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Now and Then? Mariners send Edwin Encarnacion to Yankees for prospect they already traded away
- Mariners mailbag: Could Seattle set a record-low attendance mark this week?
- Seahawks 53-man roster projection: Seattle will have plenty of tough decisions come fall | Analysis
- 'I can’t explain this feeling': Seawolves repeat as Major League Rugby champions with try as time expires
- He was the No. 1 amateur in the world as a senior at UW. Now, he's giving up professional golf.
GK Stefan Frei
CB Chad Marshall
CB Roman Torres
RB Kelvin Leerdam
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
MF Harry Shipp
MF Joevin Jones
FW Clint Dempsey
FW Will Bruin