The Seattle Sounders settled for a 1-1 tie Wednesday with the Houston Dynamo that snapped a three-game winning streak.

Share story

HOUSTON — This felt awfully familiar.

The Seattle Sounders and Houston Dynamo played to a 1-1 draw for the third consecutive time Wednesday night in Houston, with the Sounders once again salvaging a point in the final seconds.

Nicolas Lodeiro supplied the equalizer in the fourth minute of stoppage time, extending the Sounders’ unbeaten streak to five games even as their winning streak ended at three consecutive matches.

Back on April 10 in Houston, Chad Marshall tied it 1-1 — also in the 94th minute.

“It was great the way we persevered, because the other team played well, so you have to give (coach) Wade (Barrett) some credit,” interim Seattle coach Brian Schmetzer said. “But our team doesn’t stop believing.”

The tie moved the Sounders to 9-12-4 with 31 points, keeping them in the hunt for a playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Marshall and forward Clint Dempsey didn’t make the trip to Houston.

Schmetzer said before the match the veterans stayed home as a precaution after an “emotionally and physically challenging” 3-1 victory over the Portland Timbers on Sunday in Seattle.

Their absence led to five changes, including Cristian Roldan sliding to forward and Alvaro Fernandez making his first start.

Roldan was aggressive from the start in the move to the right flank, supplying two early crosses. But nothing materialized, and the Dynamo went on to outshoot the Sounders 8-1 in the first 45 minutes.

“We did what we needed to do to get out of the first half,” Schmetzer said.

“Then Jordi (Jordan Morris) has that chance (in the 71st minute) to make it 1-0, which changes the game, but they come back and score a goal (when) we weren’t able to clear the ball out of our defensive end.

“Then it’s a dogfight, and they never stopped believing in the equalizer.”

Morris’ shot was the Sounders’ best chance in regulation, but it went right to charging goalkeeper Joe Willis.

The Dynamo (5-10-10, 25 points) took advantage four minutes later. Substitute Andrew Wenger gave Houston a 1-0 lead with a goal in the 75th minute after a series of deflections.

The Sounders almost notched the equalizer in the 84th minute when a ball rolled past Willis, who was off his line, and appeared to cross the line, but it wasn’t allowed.

“Everyone knows where we are in the season and what we need to get done,” said Morris, who came on as a substitute in the 57th minute.

“To fight back like that was great. It was a hot day out there, but to show that resiliency and to get that point, it was big time.”