After a strong second half against Los Angeles FC on Sunday, former University of Washington star Handwalla Bwana gets a midfield start on Thursday night for the Sounders in CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal action against Chivas of Guadalajara.
There will be a much stronger-looking Sounders lineup starting out there against Chivas of Guadalajara on Thursday night in CONCACAF Champions League action.
Sounders coach Brian Schmetzer has Will Bruin up top, with Clint Dempsey and Nicolas Loderio in the attacking midfield along with former University of Washington star Hanswalla Bwana, who’s made quite the rookie impression on the team thus far. Bwana changed the energy level of the game when inserted in the second half of Sunday’s loss to Los Angeles FC and this appears to be his reward.
The back line is a lot more veteran. with Chad Marshall and Roman Torres both in at center back flanked by Waylon Francis at left back and newcomer Jordan McCrary at right back. Nouhou is on the bench, so you’d have to think he’ll come on in the second half if veteran Francis struggles at all.
The Chivas fans typically come from far and wide and they’re already making their presence felt outside CenturyLink Field ahead of this quarterfinal opening leg. The second game is a week from now in Guadalajara.
Most Read Sports Stories
- From a hospital bed in Las Vegas, Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto finalizes a trade for Edwin Encarnacion
- Will 5-star WR Kyle Ford sign with the Huskies? Here's an early signing day primer
- Richard Sherman responds to Frank Clark's declaration that the Sherman era in Seattle is over
- All of a sudden, Washington state is a hotbed for high-school football talent. Here's why. VIEW
- Let's hear it for a Seahawks team that is not only surprising to watch, but likable | Matt Calkins
GK Stefan Frei
LB Waylon Francis
CB Chad Marshall
CB Roman Torres
RB Jordan McCrary
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Gustav Svensson
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
MF Handwalla Bwana
FW Clint Dempsey
FW Will Bruin