MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) — The director of a soccer tournament in Moscow, Idaho has apologized to city officials and residents after the event was shut down earlier this week over health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“I had every intention of providing a safe and fun environment for a weekend of soccer,” said Brandon Schreiner, director of the Harvest Cup soccer tournament. “I failed to properly deliver on one of those and for that I apologize.”

Schreiner apologized at a Moscow City Council meeting Monday during the public comment and mayor’s response period, saying he respected and understood the decision to shut the tournaments down.

Mayor Bill Lambert made the decision Sunday after two tournaments brought together more than 100 baseball and soccer team coaches and parents. He told the Daily News that there were too many people attending the events and not wearing masks or practicing social distancing.

Schreiner said the tournament Saturday failed at enforcing social distancing measures. “We had full compliance from our coaches and players on (the) team bench side. Unfortunately, we didn’t do quite as good a job on the spectator side of the field.”

He and tournament staff used safety precautions and cleaning protocols, he said, including enforcing teams to wear masks and displaying the coronavirus-related rules on signs at all the fields.

Lambert told Schreiner he appreciated his remarks.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, but some have also shown no signs of symptoms. For some — especially older adults and people with existing health problems — it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death.