CAPRE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) — David McFarland scored 21 points and Cameron Williams blocked Isaiah Gable’s shot attempt with a second left and SIU-Edwardsville beat Southeast Missouri State 87-86 in triple overtime Thursday night.
McFarland made a pair of free throws and a jump shot to open the final overtime and the Cougars (6-13, 2-5 Ohio Valley Conference) never trailed from there.
Nygal Russell made 1 of 2 foul shots with 3:07 left in the second overtime to tie it at 78-apiece before the two teams combined to miss the last seven shot attempts and committed three turnovers.
The Redhawks’ Sage Tolbert tied it at 76-all with a layup as time expired to send it into a second overtime.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Gonzaga legend and Basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton draws ire for anti-vaccine comments
- Michigan defensive line twins Armon, Jayvon Parker announce dual commitments to UW Huskies
- Seahawks position review: Russell Wilson is still the Seahawks quarterback for now. But who will be behind him?
- Zion Tupuola-Fetui announces he'll return to UW for fifth season in 2022: 'Let's go to work'
- Here's how the overtime NFL playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills could have been even better
Cameron Williams’ layup with 67 seconds left in regulation tied it 68-all for the Cougars and neither team scored again.
Tyresse Williford scored 18 points, Brandon Jackson had 18 points with 15 rebounds and Williams scored 13 for the Cougars who were 28 of 85 (33 percent) from the field.
Ledarrius Brewer led the Red Hawks (6-14, 1-6) with 24 points and Gabe McGlothan and Tolbert each scored 18.