Seattle University trailed 32-24 at halftime, but the Redhawks stormed back in the second half with a 19-0 run in the third period, during which Seattle U outscored the Roadrunners 21-8.
It certainly wasn’t an easy task, facing the conference leader after losing its past three games, but the Seattle University women’s basketball team was up to the challenge, knocking off Cal State Bakersfield 64-56 on Saturday at the Connolly Center.
Seattle U improved to 14-14 overall and to 8-5 in the Western Athletic Conference, two games behind Bakersfield, which is still the leader.
Seattle University trailed 32-24 at halftime, but the Redhawks stormed back in the second half with a 19-0 run in the third period, during which Seattle U outscored the Roadrunners 21-8. The Redhawks extended their lead in the final period.
“We mixed our defenses better in the second half,” said Seattle U coach Suzy Barcomb. “They are so quick and athletic. We played with energy and passion, and it was great to see that today. Joana gave us great minutes off the bench.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mailbag: What does the future hold for Kam Chancellor, George Fant and Malik McDowell?
- Freshman Devin Culp eager to help Huskies’ suddenly thin tight end room
- Mariners blow 5-0 lead against Yankees, lose third straight game, but maintain their confidence
- Seahawks mailbag: Can C.J. Prosise contribute in 2018? And which position group is the biggest question mark?
- Mariners vs. Yankees: Live updates as Felix Hernandez looks to get M's back on track in New York
Seattle U senior Alexis Montgomery tallied her WAC-high 16th double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. She added three assists and three steals.
Teammate Jacinta Beckley had her first career double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds. She also hit three three-pointers.
Kamira Sanders contributed nine points and six rebounds, and Joanna Alves had eight points and four rebounds in just 12 minutes for the Redhawks.
“Joana gave us great minutes off the bench,” Barcomb said.
Seattle U will host Utah Valley on Saturday for senior day.