He had 21 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks and scored the go-ahead bucket in OT as the Redhawks won 78-76.
EDINBURG, Texas — Aaron Menzies scored 21 points with 15 rebounds and made the go-ahead jump shot with 2:03 left in overtime and Seattle beat UT Rio Grande Valley 78-76 on Saturday night.
“If you want to win on the road, you’ve got to make a lot of stops,” Seattle coach Jim Hayford said. “We played a lot of defense tonight and played through a lot of foul trouble. We weren’t all that pretty, but what a great night for Seattle U.”
Menzies’ jumper made it 78-76 after Terry Winn tied it 30 seconds earlier with a pair of free throws. The Vaqueros missed their last six shots. Morgan Means made 1 of 2 free throws with four seconds left and Lew Stallworth missed a chance to tie it at the buzzer.
Matej Kavas sank three free throws with 4:46 left in regulation and Seattle (14-8, 3-2 Western Athletic Conference) led 67-62. Dan Kimasa scored a layup and Nick Dixon made 2 of 4 free throws to reduce UTRGV’s deficit to 67-66.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Sources: Seahawks' top pick Rashaad Penny has broken finger, out 3-4 weeks
- What's in a name? For Seattle's future NHL team, more than meets the Sock-eye
- Here's why Jimmy Lake is gushing over the newest additions to UW's vaunted defensive secondary
- Introducing the Seattle Times' 2018 preseason state high school football rankings
- A line drive off James Paxton's left arm forces him out of Mariners' game vs. the A's in the first inning
Richaud Gittens’ layup moved Seattle’s lead to three before Dixon made a pair of free throws. Stallworth made a three-pointer for a 71-69 Vaqueros lead before Menzies, who also had five blocks, tied it with a layup with 29 seconds to play.
“The big guy had a great night, and what a tip-in to get us to OT,” Hayford said of Menzies.
Kavas scored 19 points and Jordan Hill scored 16 for the Hawks.
Greg Bowie led UTRGV (10-11, 2-3) with 18 points.