He had 21 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks and scored the go-ahead bucket in OT as the Redhawks won 78-76.
EDINBURG, Texas — Aaron Menzies scored 21 points with 15 rebounds and made the go-ahead jump shot with 2:03 left in overtime and Seattle beat UT Rio Grande Valley 78-76 on Saturday night.
“If you want to win on the road, you’ve got to make a lot of stops,” Seattle coach Jim Hayford said. “We played a lot of defense tonight and played through a lot of foul trouble. We weren’t all that pretty, but what a great night for Seattle U.”
Menzies’ jumper made it 78-76 after Terry Winn tied it 30 seconds earlier with a pair of free throws. The Vaqueros missed their last six shots. Morgan Means made 1 of 2 free throws with four seconds left and Lew Stallworth missed a chance to tie it at the buzzer.
Matej Kavas sank three free throws with 4:46 left in regulation and Seattle (14-8, 3-2 Western Athletic Conference) led 67-62. Dan Kimasa scored a layup and Nick Dixon made 2 of 4 free throws to reduce UTRGV’s deficit to 67-66.
Most Read Sports Stories
- With Paul Allen's death, it's unclear what happens next with Seahawks ownership
- What the (inter)national media are saying about the Seahawks' 27-3 trouncing of the Oakland Raiders
- What we learned from the UW Huskies' overtime loss at Oregon
- It's too early to call the Seahawks good, but they might be good enough for the playoffs | Matt Calkins
- The Final Word: Bob Condotta reviews what went right against the Raiders and what it means
Richaud Gittens’ layup moved Seattle’s lead to three before Dixon made a pair of free throws. Stallworth made a three-pointer for a 71-69 Vaqueros lead before Menzies, who also had five blocks, tied it with a layup with 29 seconds to play.
“The big guy had a great night, and what a tip-in to get us to OT,” Hayford said of Menzies.
Kavas scored 19 points and Jordan Hill scored 16 for the Hawks.
Greg Bowie led UTRGV (10-11, 2-3) with 18 points.