Reign goalkeeper Michelle Betos make six saves, including key stops late, to help her team preserve a draw.
In the teams’ first-ever meeting, the Utah Royals FC and Seattle Reign FC played to a scoreless draw before 8,504 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, on Wednesday night.
The game marked a unique reunion as Utah coach Laura Harvey faced her former team for the first time.
Harvey coached the Reign for five seasons.
The game also saw Christen Press make her debut for Utah (4-3-6). Press joined the new franchise after a three-team trade sent Press and former Chicago Red Stars defender Samantha Johnson to Utah. Press earned the start on the night and recorded five shots with three on goal. Johnson was available on the bench but wasn’t used as a substitute.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mock draft: A post-Frank Clark projection of how the draft might unfold for Seattle
- Seattle had its greatest NBA moment since Sonics left when Damian Lillard waved 'goodbye' to OKC | Matt Calkins
- Observations from the UW Huskies' 13th practice of spring football
- Felix Hernandez gives vintage performance vs. Padres — and Mariners give him vintage run support VIEW
- Seahawks solve one problem but create another by trading Frank Clark to Chiefs | Larry Stone
Reign goalkeeper Michelle Betos made six saves, including key stops late in the game.
Despite the tie, the Reign (5-3-5, 20 points) moved into sole possession of third place in the NWSL.