The Seahawks have signed free agent tight end Bryce Williams,
While the Seahawks wait to officially announce the undrafted free agents who will join the team in time for the rookie mini-camp this weekend, Seattle has made another addition to its roster, signing tight end Bryce Williams.
The signing was originally announced by his agency and later confirmed on the NFL transactions wire Thursday.
The Seahawks on Thursday also waived fullback Malcolm Johnson as injured. Johnson was signed to the practice squad last season after having been waived by Cleveland. It’s unclear the nature of his injury.
Williams played at East Carolina and was in training camp as a rookie last season with the Patriots and then on the practice squad of the Rams.
Most Read Sports Stories
- March on: Huskies' ballhawking defense gets them past Utah State in NCAA tournament opener
- UW vs. Utah State: Keys for the No. 9 seed Huskies to advance in NCAA tournament VIEW
- UW vs. Utah State: Live updates, how to watch, stream Huskies' NCAA tournament opener
- Analysis: Re-ranking the Seahawks' positions of need following the first wave of free agency
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Williams was released by the Rams following the draft.
Williams measured 6-6, 257 at the NFL Combine in 2016.
Intriguingly, he also played some fullback at East Carolina so it’s possible the Seahawks could also look at him at that spot especially with Johnson no longer on the roster for now. Seattle earlier this week re-signed Brandon Cottom as a fullback and is also expected to add Algernon Brown as an undrafted free agent at fullback.
This story from last fall has some good details on Williams’ disappointment in not getting drafted and ending up in camp with the Patriots.
The signing of Williams again gives the Seahawks five tight ends on their roster — Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson, Nick Vannett and Marcus Lucas being the others. Seattle earlier this week waived Chris Briggs.
The two moves mean the Seahawks remain with 82 players on their roster. Teams can have a maximum of 90 in the off-season.