The Seahawks released Ryan Plackemeier, who had two 22-yard punts in the season-opening 34-10 loss at Buffalo. The team also released receiver Jordan Kent and running back Justin Forsett. The Seahawks signed former Packers punter Jon Ryan to replace Plackemeier.
The Seahawks have released wide receiver Jordan Kent, punter Ryan Plackemeier and running back Justin Forsett.
The release of Kent and Forsett presumably makes room on the 53-man roster for the return of defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and defensive back Jordan Babineaux, who served one-game suspensions last week.
Plackemeier’s departure cleared the way for the team to sign punter Jon Ryan, a former Green Bay Punter. Plackemeier was ineffective Sunday in the Seahawks’ season-opening 34-10 loss at Buffalo.
Seattle also placed wide receiver Nate Burleson on injured reserve after Burleson tore the ACL in his left knee Sunday. His season is over.
Most Read Sports Stories
- All of a sudden, Washington state is a hotbed for high-school football talent. Here's why. VIEW
- Five reasons why the Seahawks are better than we thought they’d be
- How Ikaika Malloe and the Huskies made UW the go-to destination for top recruits from Hawaii
- Suicide, quarterbacks and the Hilinskis: A family tries to move on, as another brother heads to school VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The release of Kent leaves the Seahawks with just two healthy receivers on the roster — Logan Payne and Courtney Taylor.
The Seahawks brought in five receivers for tryouts today, according to nfl.com. The five were former Oregon player Samie Parker, former Oregon State player Mike Hass, Billy McMullen, Mark Bradford, who played at Stanford, and Devale Ellis.
Both Kent and Forsett, who made the team after good exhibition seasons, are eligible for the practice squad and the Seahawks currently have one spot to fill there.
But the team has an open roster spot with Burleson gone, and is expected to fill that with a free-agent receiver.
Ryan was going to enter the season as the Packers punter until Washington released Derrick Frost. The Packers signed Frost to replace Ryan.