The Seahawks receiver told KJR-AM 950 on Wednesday that he has not talked to the team about a contract extension but that he also is not too concerned about it.
When the Seattle Seahawks most often extend the contracts of players on their current rosters it is when they are entering the final year of their existing deals.
And of the players whose contracts runs out after the 2016 season, the most likely one to be approached this off-season about an extension is receiver Doug Baldwin, who is entering the final year of a three-year, $13 million contract signed in the spring of 2014.
Not only is Baldwin coming off a career year in which he caught 78 passes while tying for the NFL lead in touchdowns with 14, but he also has since seen his contract surpassed by that of teammate Jermaine Kearse, who signed a three-year, $13.5 million contract to stay with the team last month.
In an interview with KJR-AM 950 on Wednesday, though, Baldwin said he has yet to talk to the team about an extension.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Has Shane Waldron solved Pete Carroll's desired balance between an explosive Seahawks offense and establishing the run?
- Mitch Haniger delivers winning run for Mariners on first pitch in bottom of 10th inning
- Analysis: What we learned from Seahawks minicamp
- Mariners mailbag: What to do about Yusei Kikuchi and his unique contract?
- Mariners put together an impressive all-around effort to top high-riding Rays, 5-1
“No we haven’t had any talks,” Baldwin said in an interview with host Mitch Levy and former Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren. “And to be completely honest with you I’m not too concerned with it. I’m enjoying my time right now with my training and my fiancée (he announced his engagement last month). I’m anxious to get back out there with my teammates.
“To be completely honest with you, I’m not really worried about it. I’m having fun playing football. I’m enjoying my time, I’m enjoying my life right now. So whatever happens, I’m going to leave it up to God and he’ll direct me in whatever direction I need to go.”
That the team has not talked to Baldwin yet about an extension is not a surprise.
Coach Pete Carroll said at the NFL combine in February that the team would first get through the free agency and overall player acquisition phase of the off-season before delving into extensions with current payers.
“Really, the guys who are under contract can’t be the first-priority guys right now, in any order,” Carroll said then. “We are really digging in, trying to keep our team together. And that will always be the way we go about it.”
Baldwin also said he is building a home in the Seattle area and that “this is going to be where I spend the rest of my days” saying that “of course all of that comes into play” when it comes time to talk about an extension.
Baldwin also said he his wedding will be next year, sometime after the conclusion of the 2016 season.
And as for the way the offense turned around in the second half of the 2015 season, Baldwin reiterated what he said at the time, that it was mostly due to the players simply performing better
“Our play on the field stepped up,” he said. “I wouldn’t say that our playcalling changed much. We started executing a lot better. … we were all executing at a very high level.”